The Student Room Group

Zoology

I would like to work in Wildlife Rehabilitation and Rescue when I am older. Probably in a South American country. I was wondering if a zoology degree is a good pathway to get into this. For example Zoology at University of Manchester.
Original post by ameliaooo
I would like to work in Wildlife Rehabilitation and Rescue when I am older. Probably in a South American country. I was wondering if a zoology degree is a good pathway to get into this. For example Zoology at University of Manchester.

Hi there! :smile:

I'm a current Zoology student at the University of Plymouth and I'd highly recommend the degree! It can take you in many pathways and you can tailor the course to your interests with optional modules throughout the programme. I know many students that have been on placements to do wildlife rehab/rescue, such as in Ecuador and Canada and they absolutely loved it! If you'd like to know more about the degree or would like any advice, feel free to ask me any questions and I'd be happy to help!

We also have a zoology student over on our Unibuddy page so feel free to reach out to her too!

Best of luck!

-Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
nice! i want to be a zoologist as well I'm currently in my gcse's and i have recently applied to do an animal management course at Doncaster college at the highest level and i have been offered a conditional place i would like to end up working for zsl or the wwf as a scientist
Original post by jackspeakbest
nice! i want to be a zoologist as well I'm currently in my gcse's and i have recently applied to do an animal management course at Doncaster college at the highest level and i have been offered a conditional place i would like to end up working for zsl or the wwf as a scientist

Fantastic that’s great to hear! Best of luck with your course! :smile:

Reply 4
Original post by University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
I'm a current Zoology student at the University of Plymouth and I'd highly recommend the degree! It can take you in many pathways and you can tailor the course to your interests with optional modules throughout the programme. I know many students that have been on placements to do wildlife rehab/rescue, such as in Ecuador and Canada and they absolutely loved it! If you'd like to know more about the degree or would like any advice, feel free to ask me any questions and I'd be happy to help!
We also have a zoology student over on our Unibuddy page so feel free to reach out to her too!
Best of luck!
Thank you so much. This is so useful to hear. I just wasn't sure whether working in Wildlife rescue was something that required a degree in Veterinary Medicine?
Best of luck!

What a levels did you do?
Do you enjoy the course/ is it interesting 😁
Thank you so much. This is so useful to hear. I just wasn't sure whether working in Wildlife rescue was something that required a degree in Veterinary Medicine?

No worries at all! I think there are varied requirements and roles across the wildlife rescue sector, so I’d recommend having a research a bit further into this to see what course would be more suited to you. However, I know a few students that have done wildlife rescue/rehab placements from a Zoology BSc degree here at Plymouth and have been trained in some basic veterinary skills, such as administering injections etc. But this definitely depends on what roles you’re interested in and what the requirements are more specifically :smile:

If you need any more information or have any other questions, feel free to reach out!

Original post by Ellis’s
What a levels did you do?
Do you enjoy the course/ is it interesting 😁

Hiya! :smile:

I did A Levels in Biology, Psychology, Geography (and also music but this wasn’t a requirement/related to my degree!) All of my A-Levels were highly linked to the Zoology degree and I found them useful to transfer knowledge into the course. Biology has been the most useful as zoology is a biological science, but recent modules in Animal Behaviour and Ecology have taken some knowledge from my other subjects too! The course requirements for Zoology BSc at the University of Plymouth at the moment is a B in Biology A Level, and a second science subject A Level too.

I absolutely love the course though! It has been the best decision I have made and I really enjoy it as it’s what I’m passionate about. Plymouth has so much nature on offer to utilise within studies and there are so many practicals, lab sessions, field trips, and other workshops outside of traditional lectures too, which is great for an engaging way of learning.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out and I’d be happy to help!

thanks, i just need to get through my gcse's
yep i'm well on track these are my gcse predictions

maths- 4-5
english lit- 5
english lang- 6
triple science- b-6, c-5, p-6
geography- 5
statistics- 5
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by jackspeakbest
yep i'm well on track these are my gcse predictions
maths- 4-5
english lit- 5
english lang- 6
triple science- b-6, c-5, p-6
geography- 5
statistics- 5

Fantastic! Best of luck with your exams and if you have any other questions, feel free to let me know! :smile:

-Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Ambassador
Fantastic! Best of luck with your exams and if you have any other questions, feel free to let me know! :smile:
-Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Ambassador

yes with my maths I'm falling behind as I'm not very good with timings, I know the stuff just I struggle with timings and I'm a little slow, I spend to long on a question that takes me longer to figure out I lose time on the others and I'm dropping marks, I'm predicted a 5 but because of that I'm at a 4 and my teachers says the predicted is a 4-5 as I'm kind of hard to pinpoint what grade I'm going to get, I don't know what to do
(edited 1 month ago)
because when we go through our exams i go "ah crap i could have done that"
(edited 1 month ago)

Hi,
my name is Aimée and I am currently an undergraduate zoology student at Lancaster University. Let me start by saying, zoology is a great choice of degree if you want to go down the wildlife rehabilitation and rescue path. Here's a little insight into what a zoology degree could be like.

In my first year, we started by covering a broader range of biology topics from anatomy and tissue structure to aquatic ecology and biodiversity and conservation. This is really great as it gives you a good founding in biology and allows you to get a feel for subject areas that might interest you more, or in your case explore into areas you already know you like. After that (at Lancaster at least), the degree gradually gets more specific with you having more freedom to choose which modules you would like to take. For example, I opted to take genetics in my second year as I'm interested in how it can be applied to conservation. However, there are lots of choices such as tropical biology and conservation. Of course the modules offered vary slightly year by year as well as by university, but take a look at a few course structures online and see if there are any modules and topics that pique your interest (I'll link one down below). It could also be a good idea to see what field courses universities offer if working in a more hands on outdoors environment appeals to you. In my first year I did a field course at the Eden project and it was a real highlight! Browsing around is a great way to get feel for if a zoology degree is something you want to pursue.

Overall though, if you love animals and have a passion for wildlife rehabilitation I think zoology would be an amazing choice. Personally, I love my degree as it provides me with the freedom to be as general or specific with was I learn as I like. If you have any more questions please feel free to reach out and best of Luke in your studies! :smile:

Aimée (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Zoology: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/zoology-bsc-hons-c300/2025/
Just a quick plug for the TSR Goes Green initiative this week, which includes a new thread on Careers in the Environmental Sector. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending