The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science at Uni

Hello! I am planning to apply for biomedical science (2024 entry) this year and I was wondering what any biomedical science students think of the course and where you are studying?
I have a decent idea of where I am applying - Oxford, Sheffield and Warwick are pretty definite I think, and I have an idea for the other two places but not completely sure yet (Birmingham, Cardiff, Lancaster are some options).

Also, I think I would like to go into medical research. Plenty of people recommend taking an IBMS accredited degree, however most of the courses/unis I like the look of are not IBMS accredited.
I am not planning to go into the NHS as a main goal (after my degree if at some point I changed my mind, I can pay for modules to then get an IBMS accreditation if I really needed to, right?). Furthermore, I can work in industry without this accreditation, can't I? I just can't work with the NHS.

Thank you :smile:.
Hi,
It's great to hear that you're considering Lancaster! I study physics not biomedical science so I can't help in terms of the course. I do know that Lancaster's BSc biomedical science course is IBMS accredited so would provide all the core theory and laboratory skills you'd need to work as a researcher for a company, research institute, or the NHS.
I'd recommend using unibuddy or Lancaster's ask a student, linked from the course page, to find out more about biomedical science.
Personally I've really enjoyed studying at Lancaster due to the friendly campus environment and all the opportunities to get involved with research through talks, projects and internships!
If you have any questions about life at Lancaster in general let me know,
Becky (Lancaster university student ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi,
It's great to hear that you're considering Lancaster! I study physics not biomedical science so I can't help in terms of the course. I do know that Lancaster's BSc biomedical science course is IBMS accredited so would provide all the core theory and laboratory skills you'd need to work as a researcher for a company, research institute, or the NHS.
I'd recommend using unibuddy or Lancaster's ask a student, linked from the course page, to find out more about biomedical science.
Personally I've really enjoyed studying at Lancaster due to the friendly campus environment and all the opportunities to get involved with research through talks, projects and internships!
If you have any questions about life at Lancaster in general let me know,
Becky (Lancaster university student ambassador)

Thank you very much! I'll take a look at those :smile:.
Original post by Kitty_01
Hello! I am planning to apply for biomedical science (2024 entry) this year and I was wondering what any biomedical science students think of the course and where you are studying?
I have a decent idea of where I am applying - Oxford, Sheffield and Warwick are pretty definite I think, and I have an idea for the other two places but not completely sure yet (Birmingham, Cardiff, Lancaster are some options).

Also, I think I would like to go into medical research. Plenty of people recommend taking an IBMS accredited degree, however most of the courses/unis I like the look of are not IBMS accredited.
I am not planning to go into the NHS as a main goal (after my degree if at some point I changed my mind, I can pay for modules to then get an IBMS accreditation if I really needed to, right?). Furthermore, I can work in industry without this accreditation, can't I? I just can't work with the NHS.

Hi @Kitty_01

I currently study biochemistry (so I share some modules with biomed students) at Lancaster and love it! The lectures are really interesting, the lecturers are super helpful, and I love the lab practicals. The university also offer so many opportunities to apply for internships in the labs between 2nd and 3rd year, and has an amazing placement year team, so if you're looking for work experience before leaving university there is so much support available!

As you know, an IBMS accredited Biomedical Science degree is one pathway into becoming a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS (I believe you also need to a years worth of experience in an NHS lab to create a portfolio before you can apply to become a Biomedical Scientist). The degree is basically given a thumbs up by the IBMS to say "this teaches the stuff you need to know for this job", but because of this, IBMS accredited degrees tend to have very little flexibility in optional modules, which some people really like because it makes life easier for them but other people don't love.

Biomedical Science shares a first year with Biomedicine at Lancaster, which is not accredited by the IBMS but has more flexibility with optional modules from year 2 onwards, so there is an opportunity to switch from Biomedical Science to Biomedicine. However, just because a degree is IBMS accredited does not mean you have to become a biomedical scientist, as it's still a well rounded bioscience degree and opens up doors into further scientific research or other pathways like teaching, finance, or recruitment.

I will say (and I don't know too much about this), I've heard that if you do a non-IBMS accredited degree and then decide you want to become a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS, the top-up modules are very expensive.
I've linked the Lancaster pages for biomedical science and biomedicine below!
Biomedical science - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/biomedical-science-bsc-hons-b990/2024/
Biomedicine - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/biomedicine-bsc-hons-c701/2024/

I hope I could help a little! If you have any questions about studying bioscience at Lancaster, let me know!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Kitty_01

I currently study biochemistry (so I share some modules with biomed students) at Lancaster and love it! The lectures are really interesting, the lecturers are super helpful, and I love the lab practicals. The university also offer so many opportunities to apply for internships in the labs between 2nd and 3rd year, and has an amazing placement year team, so if you're looking for work experience before leaving university there is so much support available!

As you know, an IBMS accredited Biomedical Science degree is one pathway into becoming a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS (I believe you also need to a years worth of experience in an NHS lab to create a portfolio before you can apply to become a Biomedical Scientist). The degree is basically given a thumbs up by the IBMS to say "this teaches the stuff you need to know for this job", but because of this, IBMS accredited degrees tend to have very little flexibility in optional modules, which some people really like because it makes life easier for them but other people don't love.

Biomedical Science shares a first year with Biomedicine at Lancaster, which is not accredited by the IBMS but so have more flexibility with optional modules from year 2 onwards, so there is an opportunity to switch from Biomedical Science to Biomedicine. However, just because a degree is IBMS accredited does not mean you have to become a biomedical scientist, as it's still a well rounded bioscience degree and opens up doors into further scientific research or other pathways like teaching, finance, or recruitment.

I will say (and I don't know too much about this), I've heard that if you do a non-IBMS accredited degree and then decide you want to become a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS, the top-up modules are very expensive.
I've linked the Lancaster pages for biomedical science and biomedicine below!
Biomedical science - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/biomedical-science-bsc-hons-b990/2024/
Biomedicine - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/biomedicine-bsc-hons-c701/2024/

I hope I could help a little! If you have any questions about studying bioscience at Lancaster, let me know!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thank you!!

Hello,

I've just finished my third year studying biomedical science at the University of Lincoln so hopefully I can help out! I'd also recommend taking an IBMS accredited degree, as it can save you time and money afterwards, in what can be a competitve industry. Biomedical science at Lincoln is accredited by IBMS. Accreditation ensures that the course meets the academic requirements for registration as a biomedical scientist with the Health and Care Professions Council. In order to register as a biomedical scientist, you would need additionally to complete the IBMS registration portfolio in an approved laboratory. Many students choose to do this between second and third year to not only qualify as biomedical scientists, but also to get support from the university during the application process.

However, it's important to note that your career choice can change a lot of your time at university. I've decided to pursue a career in data science, something my undergraduate degree has given me the skils for through coding and data analysis modules. Although, it's reassuring to me that as I have the IBMS accreditation under my belt, it can be easier for my future self to switch to a biomedical science career in the future.

Finally, I've really enjoyed my time at Lincoln, so much so I'm staying for my MSc! I'd recommend checking it out since you're considering biomedical science. I've found the facilities to be amazing, especially the labs and libraries. Another reason why I chose to stay on at Lincoln is the fact the campus is separate but also not even a five minute walk into the centre of the city, something that really stuck out to me when I was going to university open days. I'd also advise going to as many open days as possible to find which place you'd feel comfortable to live in, as it's what helped make my final decision!

I hope this has helped.

Hey,
Great to hear you are looking at biomedical sciences, it is a fantastic course! Some of the people on my master's degree studied biomedicine and always talked about how well organised the course was and how they felt the tutors actually listened to feedback and wanted to help them improve. Many University's Biomedicine courses are not IBMS accredited so it is not essential and you can always do qualifications later on in your career like you say.
If there are a few universities with similar courses that you like then I would focus on finding a city or university that you can see yourself being a part of and living in for at least three years, as this will play a big part in your experience. If you wanted to talk to some current biomedical science students, there are a few on the ambassador platform that can give you their experience and much more tailored career advice: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat
Good luck with all of your decisions!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Hi Kitty,

NHS perspective here! You're correct, the IBMS accreditation is only important if you want to register with the HCPC as a biomedical scientist. Which is NHS and private healthcare laboratories. So if you don't want to work in healthcare it's not needed.

However, unless you are financially very secure, remember that the current cost to have your degree assessed is £309 and top up modules are around £800 each (and you cannot use your student loan for them). It's not uncommon to need 5 or 6 modules to top up.

So I would think very carefully. If you don't want to work in the NHS - absolutely don't consider the IBMS accreditation. But it's an expensive change to make afterwards. Any degree could easily put you £50k in debt so you do want to make sure it's the right one for your career choice.
Reply 8
Dear Kitty,

I am also applying for biomedical science. Why do you choose the three choices? I am not sure which are the top five choices for biomedical science as there are different league tables. Also, between Warwick and Bristol? Why do you choose Warwick? Thanks.
Reply 9
Original post by wwwy
Dear Kitty,

I am also applying for biomedical science. Why do you choose the three choices? I am not sure which are the top five choices for biomedical science as there are different league tables. Also, between Warwick and Bristol? Why do you choose Warwick? Thanks.

Hi!

I chose Oxford, Sheffield and Warwick because they are high up on the league tables I've seen - although the placing has changed since I first looked at them. I've been to Oxford and Sheffield open days and absolutely fell in love with the unis and the cities. With Warwick, it is meant to be a good university for Biomed and I liked the campus when I went. Distance from home has also played a role in decision making :smile:.
Also, I want to do a placement year, and if not a placement year then a masters - Bristol has neither I don't think - so that's why Bristol isn't an option for me.
Which unis are you looking at?
Reply 10
Original post by HealthcareSci
Hi Kitty,

NHS perspective here! You're correct, the IBMS accreditation is only important if you want to register with the HCPC as a biomedical scientist. Which is NHS and private healthcare laboratories. So if you don't want to work in healthcare it's not needed.

However, unless you are financially very secure, remember that the current cost to have your degree assessed is £309 and top up modules are around £800 each (and you cannot use your student loan for them). It's not uncommon to need 5 or 6 modules to top up.

So I would think very carefully. If you don't want to work in the NHS - absolutely don't consider the IBMS accreditation. But it's an expensive change to make afterwards. Any degree could easily put you £50k in debt so you do want to make sure it's the right one for your career choice.

Hi!

Wow, thank you. It is good to know some prices for these top-up modules etc - I'll definitely take those on board.

Thanks a lot!
Reply 11
Hi!

I chose Oxford, Sheffield and Warwick because they are high up on the league tables I've seen - although the placing has changed since I first looked at them. I've been to Oxford and Sheffield open days and absolutely fell in love with the unis and the cities. With Warwick, it is meant to be a good university for Biomed and I liked the campus when I went. Distance from home has also played a role in decision making :smile:.
Also, I want to do a placement year, and if not a placement year then a masters - Bristol has neither I don't think - so that's why Bristol isn't an option for me.
Which unis are you looking at?

Hi Kitty, I am an international student and hence didn't travel to the campus or open day before. The choices are London ones UCL, KCL, Manchester, Warick, Bristol, New Castle, Queen Mary London, Birmingham. Thanks for your sharing. If you are able to share more about the universities, it would be good.
Reply 12
Original post by wwwy
Hi Kitty, I am an international student and hence didn't travel to the campus or open day before. The choices are London ones UCL, KCL, Manchester, Warick, Bristol, New Castle, Queen Mary London, Birmingham. Thanks for your sharing. If you are able to share more about the universities, it would be good.

Hi! I'm afraid I have only been to the Warwick campus out of those universities, but I did like it. Some of the universities may have virtual tours on their website which may help you!
Reply 13

Heyy i know you uplouded this 7months ago and im not sure if anyones mentioned anything about birmingham unis,

i only know University of birmingham is IBS accreddited, and it is such a beutiful campus, i have not seen the accoms as since your quite far im not sure you would prefer commuting such a long way due to the long travel,

Aston university are also accredited

thats all i can recall, but if your still interested i can search more up on it as i am also planning on doing biomedicine in univserity and ofc would like a degree that is IBS accredited in order to do be able to actually do something with the degree.

best of luck with your alevels :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by uro_ojk
Heyy i know you uplouded this 7months ago and im not sure if anyones mentioned anything about birmingham unis,
i only know University of birmingham is IBS accreddited, and it is such a beutiful campus, i have not seen the accoms as since your quite far im not sure you would prefer commuting such a long way due to the long travel,
Aston university are also accredited
thats all i can recall, but if your still interested i can search more up on it as i am also planning on doing biomedicine in univserity and ofc would like a degree that is IBS accredited in order to do be able to actually do something with the degree.
best of luck with your alevels :smile:

Hi! Thank you very much for your reply. I did end up applying for Birmingham but I'm not firming it in the end.
Best of luck with your A-Levels as well! 😃

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending