The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Urgent uni advice pls!

hello! I am a student in Manchester currently and about to start my second year! I went to the uni today to get some help with course selections (my degree is American studies with classical literature) the representative told me that I would no longer be able to continue this degree as they actually don't offer flexible honours for the American studies degree. They told me the person/flex honours department made a mistake on allowing me to attend this course and that I will now have to only continue with American studies. They also told me that I would have to complete the extra modules that the department replaced for literature modules last year, which is completely overwhelming. I genuinely do not know what to do and do not understand how this can happen. there were numerous people I had spoken to last year (both online and in person) about which courses I would like to take together and there has been no issue so far with my course or during that time period. To be told now (almost half way through my degree) that I can't continue with what I originally agreed to is insane and will 100% affect my career path after uni and the overall experience I will have for all future lectures and modules. any advice? I honestly would just like to know what rights I have in this situation...
Reply 1
Given that you pay a huge amount of money to study your expected course I would seek some urgent professional legal advice rather than our best guess?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
Given that you pay a huge amount of money to study your expected course I would seek some urgent professional legal advice rather than our best guess?

yes I totally agree! this all happened within the past two hours so I guess I was just second guessing myself, extremely overwhelmed and thought id ask the student community and see if any teachers/students have had an experience with this. I definitely agree that legal advice is what's needed.
Go see the SU advice centre
...if nothing else, if you're at Uni of M, it still seems to be offering it!
https://www.alc.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/flexible-honours/
Reply 5
Original post by dickinsonjim
...if nothing else, if you're at Uni of M, it still seems to be offering it!
https://www.alc.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/flexible-honours/

They definitely offer flexible honours 100%! But they're saying they don't offer it specifically for American studies students. They said to put me on a flexible honours course in the first place on my course is a mistake. I will 100% go to the student union today to see what my options are and go stress what a pain this is! Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending