The Student Room Group

Gwr Childs ticket fine

My fiends aged 16 bought a child’s ticket and then lied to the officer saying their birthday was a year later, they’re sending a letter for age verification, does anyone know how much the fine would be or what will happen? PLS REPLY URGENT!!!!
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Hdoanekdnd
My fiends aged 16 bought a child’s ticket and then lied to the officer saying their birthday was a year later, they’re sending a letter for age verification, does anyone know how much the fine would be or what will happen? PLS REPLY URGENT!!!!

First, the scary bit:

There are two sets of rules governing tickets:

(a) the Railway byelaws (the offence is defined in section 18, and the penalties in section 24), where the fine is "a penalty not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale" (i.e. up to £1000) ; and

(b) the Regulation of Railways Act 1889 (section 5 defines the offence and the penalties), and again the fine is "not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale" (i.e. up to £1000), but with the option of up to 3 month imprisonment for a second or subsequent conviction.

Would GWR prosecute a 16-year-old? It seems unlikely. But I'm no expert on this.

Your friends need to be up front with their parents about what has happened. GWR are probably not going to overlook this, so they need to be looking out for a letter in the post. This may take some time to come, but will need to be dealt with promptly when it does arrive.

Once it does, I'd suggest your friends' parents ask for advice in the Disputes & Prosecutions forum at RailUKforums where there are a lot of very helpful people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending