The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

URGENT HELP - Bristol private accommodation

I've been really anxious about finding somewhere to live for my undergrad at University of Bristol this year since I didn't get a place in halls. The private housing I've seen is all so expensive and I'm honestly so lost on where to even start. I'm not sure if I can even afford to go to uni at this point, and even if I do find somewhere I'm worried that since I won't be living in halls I will have literally no friends and a miserable uni life. Sorry for the slight emotional dump but I'm panicking lol

Does anyone know websites I can use to find other students to live with? Or just places (in Bristol, preferably near UoB campus) in general? Can I really have a good uni life if I don't live in halls for my first year? How on earth am I supposed to have an enjoyable freshers when I know nobody and can't even rely on the people I live with since there's a possibility they won't even be students?

Any help/advice appreciated!!! I am very scared lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've been really anxious about finding somewhere to live for my undergrad at University of Bristol this year since I didn't get a place in halls. The private housing I've seen is all so expensive and I'm honestly so lost on where to even start. I'm not sure if I can even afford to go to uni at this point, and even if I do find somewhere I'm worried that since I won't be living in halls I will have literally no friends and a miserable uni life. Sorry for the slight emotional dump but I'm panicking lol

Does anyone know websites I can use to find other students to live with? Or just places (in Bristol, preferably near UoB campus) in general? Can I really have a good uni life if I don't live in halls for my first year? How on earth am I supposed to have an enjoyable freshers when I know nobody and can't even rely on the people I live with since there's a possibility they won't even be students?

Your not alone. I'm trying to fund somewhere for my nephew. Don't panic get in contact with us and see if we can arrange a house share
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

sorry to read this.
Apart from trying the Students’ Union ( eg., welfare, housing) is it even worth deferring?
I thought university had a requirement to find accommodation for first year undergraduates.
Sadly, we're also in the same sorry boat no Uni accommodation offered to my daughter. We don't know Bristol apart from tours on Open Days so it'll be challenging.
And to Annony1: I can't give you words of comfort yet as we haven't thought through our options other than, I am clear that my daughter needs to share with other freshers to learn and enjoy all that Bristol has to offer.
Reply 4
Hi, I am also in this situation, am looking for others in similar position to potentially house share. I will be studying Economics & Finance. If anyone is interested please let me know
Reply 5
Original post by Everran1
Your not alone. I'm trying to fund somewhere for my nephew. Don't panic get in contact with us and see if we can arrange a house share

Hi, I'm the original poster, I posted anon by accident and I have no idea how to change it which is really inconvenient, but please could you message me with more details? Thank you : )
Reply 6
Original post by MedMama
sorry to read this.
Apart from trying the Students’ Union ( eg., welfare, housing) is it even worth deferring?
I thought university had a requirement to find accommodation for first year undergraduates.

I've always had a traditional view on education where it felt like the only option was uni straight after A-Levels, so it's hard to consider a gap year for me. I'm also going to be studying maths so I'm not entirely sure if they'll let me do one, since unis seem to be hesitant about maths students taking years out because of how easy it is to forget maths.

UoB just sucks and doesn't have an accommodation guarantee if you apply after results day i.e. insurance students ://
Reply 7
Sadly, we're also in the same sorry boat no Uni accommodation offered to my daughter. We don't know Bristol apart from tours on Open Days so it'll be challenging.
And to Annony1: I can't give you words of comfort yet as we haven't thought through our options other than, I am clear that my daughter needs to share with other freshers to learn and enjoy all that Bristol has to offer.

It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only fresher who hasn't sorted accomm yet. I've never been to Bristol (didn't even go to open days) so I relate to that struggle.
Reply 8
Original post by Billy1610
Hi, I am also in this situation, am looking for others in similar position to potentially house share. I will be studying Economics & Finance. If anyone is interested please let me know

Please message me with any updates! I'll be studying maths
Reply 9
Original post by chemis
Please message me with any updates! I'll be studying maths

Hi, a few of us are trying to arrange a house share. We need one more person, so if you are interested DM me and I’ll send you details
Original post by chemis
I've always had a traditional view on education where it felt like the only option was uni straight after A-Levels, so it's hard to consider a gap year for me. I'm also going to be studying maths so I'm not entirely sure if they'll let me do one, since unis seem to be hesitant about maths students taking years out because of how easy it is to forget maths.

UoB just sucks and doesn't have an accommodation guarantee if you apply after results day i.e. insurance students ://

Have to agree with you re the disastrous lack of Uni accommodation (my other daughter's accom has been very straightforward to arrange and her Uni is very supportive); Likewise my daughter isn't keen on an enforced and unplanned gap year.

I'm unable to pm today as there is a restriction being a new user but once this is updated, I will get in touch.
You've all got through the major challenge of A Levels, been accepted onto a competitive degree course, so while it might take some work, we'll find a solution.
Original post by chemis

wish you well, and makes sense to keep up the momentum with maths
Reply 12
Original post by Billy1610
Hi, a few of us are trying to arrange a house share. We need one more person, so if you are interested DM me and I’ll send you details

messaged!
Reply 13
messaged!

sorry it keeps auto selecting anon😭
Reply 14
Have to agree with you re the disastrous lack of Uni accommodation (my other daughter's accom has been very straightforward to arrange and her Uni is very supportive); Likewise my daughter isn't keen on an enforced and unplanned gap year.

I'm unable to pm today as there is a restriction being a new user but once this is updated, I will get in touch.
You've all got through the major challenge of A Levels, been accepted onto a competitive degree course, so while it might take some work, we'll find a solution.

hope it all works out for your daughter too!!
Reply 15
Original post by MedMama
wish you well, and makes sense to keep up the momentum with maths

thank you :smile:
Reply 16
messaged!

Will send details when I can DM.
Reply 17

Hey, im in the exact same situation as you- very anxious about the fact I dont have anywhere to live! DM on Facebook- alannahgf and we can try and work something out eg. a house share.
Reply 18

Hey, im in the exact same situation as your daughter- very anxious about the fact I don't have anywhere to live and very much want that uni experience. DM on Facebook- alannahgf and we can try and work something out eg. a house share.

I am in the same situation and Im scared to get a room in a shared house where i dont know the other people so Im happy if maybe we found some other people and found somewhere together where were all in the same situation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending