The Student Room Group

Bath or Notts for pharmacy

So I'm currently in a dilemma of choosing Bath or Nottingham for pharmacy. From my research, qs ranking for Notts is about top 10 while Bath is in top 100 but for other rankings like Guardian and complete uni guide Bath is ranked higher. From what I heard Bath is also a more joyful place compared to Notts. If yall have any suggestions or advice pls do tell

If yall think there are other schools in the UK which are a good choice for pharmacy please do tell also ;-;
Reply 1
Original post by solidsoup
So I'm currently in a dilemma of choosing Bath or Nottingham for pharmacy. From my research, qs ranking for Notts is about top 10 while Bath is in top 100 but for other rankings like Guardian and complete uni guide Bath is ranked higher. From what I heard Bath is also a more joyful place compared to Notts. If yall have any suggestions or advice pls do tell

If yall think there are other schools in the UK which are a good choice for pharmacy please do tell also ;-;

pick Notts and btw did you prepare for the interview ?
cause honestly the interview is the only obstacle
Reply 2

Pharmacy is one of those degrees where as long as you go to a reputable university, it doesn't matter where it is on the league tables. Nottingham and Bath are definitely 2 great universities, but personally I would pick Bath as it's a nicer area to live and you have to live there for 3 years.
Reply 3
Original post by cr7090121
pick Notts and btw did you prepare for the interview ?
cause honestly the interview is the only obstacle

Thanks for the suggestion!, but I havent even started preparing for the interview :frown: tho from what you have said I should probably start now ;-;
Reply 4
Original post by lockets
Pharmacy is one of those degrees where as long as you go to a reputable university, it doesn't matter where it is on the league tables. Nottingham and Bath are definitely 2 great universities, but personally I would pick Bath as it's a nicer area to live and you have to live there for 3 years.

Thanks for the suggestion btw :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for the suggestion!, but I havent even started preparing for the interview :frown: tho from what you have said I should probably start now ;-;

yeah somehow the interview is hard to pass from my experience let me know how u prepare for it as I am applying to pharmacy this year too
Reply 6
Bath.
Smaller Uni, great place to live, and fantastic sports facilities.

And - Plymouth are running a new MPharm for 2024 entry which will be run by, and validated by, Bath Uni.
Yes, you can apply for both Plymouth and Bath as two UCAS choices.
Doesn't really matter, as if your goal is to work as a pharmacist it doesn't matter where you get the degree as long as it's accredited, you passed, and you completed the pre-reg things needed to become registered with the appropriate professional governing body. Nottingham I gather is pretty well known for pharmacy but you're going to effectively cover the same material (perhaps in slightly different ways) so just pick the one where you would be happy to spend your 4 years of your degree!

Consider things like costs of living in the area (principally rental prices but also see what the average costs for e.g. transport, food shops, entertainment and suchlike are), facilities offered by the uni that are of interest to you (including non-academic/extracurricular ones), ease of travelling to there and back from your home if you are planning to go home in the holidays, and if there are placements as part of the course, consider the location of placements and travel to/from them (and associated costs!).

At the end of the day the Boots branch hiring a new pharmacist isn't going to care what your university's ranking is. And for hospital based roles in the NHS they may well blind recruiters from your university anyway to ensure no bias!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Doesn't really matter, as if your goal is to work as a pharmacist it doesn't matter where you get the degree as long as it's accredited, you passed, and you completed the pre-reg things needed to become registered with the appropriate professional governing body. Nottingham I gather is pretty well known for pharmacy but you're going to effectively cover the same material (perhaps in slightly different ways) so just pick the one where you would be happy to spend your 4 years of your degree!

Consider things like costs of living in the area (principally rental prices but also see what the average costs for e.g. transport, food shops, entertainment and suchlike are), facilities offered by the uni that are of interest to you (including non-academic/extracurricular ones), ease of travelling to there and back from your home if you are planning to go home in the holidays, and if there are placements as part of the course, consider the location of placements and travel to/from them (and associated costs!).

At the end of the day the Boots branch hiring a new pharmacist isn't going to care what your university's ranking is. And for hospital based roles in the NHS they may well blind recruiters from your university anyway to ensure no bias!

Thank you so much for your suggestion!!! But if you don't mind me asking then do you think that student satisfactory and employability rate of the school is more important then?
Reply 9
Original post by McGinger
Bath.
Smaller Uni, great place to live, and fantastic sports facilities.

And - Plymouth are running a new MPharm for 2024 entry which will be run by, and validated by, Bath Uni.
Yes, you can apply for both Plymouth and Bath as two UCAS choices.

oo thanks for the suggestion!!!, did you go to either one of the unis? if so do u mind telling a little about it?
Reply 10
I can't comment on Notts but I went to a Bath Uni open day for biomed and the campus was quite small and had very confusing room numbering, it wasn't easy to find your way around. Also, the prices up there are insane like they match London prices so that should be taken into account for 2nd/3rd year! Good luck :smile:
Thank you so much for your suggestion!!! But if you don't mind me asking then do you think that student satisfactory and employability rate of the school is more important then?

For pharmacy employability is a bit meaningless because all pharmacy degrees are going to be seen equally by employers for pharmacist roles regardless of where you get it.

Student satisfaction can be worth considering although also consider why they might be low and if some of that is just inherent in the experience at any uni similar to that one - for example larger universities tend to have lower satisfaction ratings in general.

The above remarks about cost of living are also a good point and well worth considering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending