The Student Room Group

Can someone explain this about mpharm

I wanna be a pharmacist after researching about the career and I have found some 4 year and 5 year degrees I don’t wanna do foundation year but is not that there is this thing called integrated pre reg year need more information about that like ucl offer this and Bradford don’t think Nottingham do this anymore researched but if anyone knows it’ll be helpful and what is the fifth year do I be qualified pharmacist or something and is beneficial like if you did normal 4 year you would need to do pre reg after finished uni but some unis offer it with 5th year idk what this means??
Reply 1
hey!
The pre reg year is compulsory for all pharmacy graduates in order to become a pharmacist. After 4 years of pharmacy school, you are required to undergo this pre reg year (also known as foundation year) and you basically work in hospitals, GP, community for a year and then you take the pre reg exam set by the GPhc before becoming a pharmacist.
The 5 year course provided by UCL is for international students who don’t have visa to work after their 4 years. But this is no longer applicable because the policies have changed but still some students may choose this because they think it’s more convenient that way!
I hope this helped!
Original post by bwu
hey!
The pre reg year is compulsory for all pharmacy graduates in order to become a pharmacist. After 4 years of pharmacy school, you are required to undergo this pre reg year (also known as foundation year) and you basically work in hospitals, GP, community for a year and then you take the pre reg exam set by the GPhc before becoming a pharmacist.
The 5 year course provided by UCL is for international students who don’t have visa to work after their 4 years. But this is no longer applicable because the policies have changed but still some students may choose this because they think it’s more convenient that way!
I hope this helped!

So I can’t do the 5 years and isn’t the 5 years last year you do the pre reg exam and be qualified and they pay for your exam etc unlike doing a 4 year and you have to pay to do gphc I still confused
Basically majority of students do the 4years at uni and then go off and do their pre reg year somewhere. i think the cost of the exam is included in the fee for registering as a pharmacist, honestly not sure and i’m a pharmacy student myself (2nd year). But yeah normally the 5year one is for internationals like the person above said as otherwise they won’t be able to undertake their pre reg year.
Reply 4
I was in this exact place last year and I wish someone could have answered this.
I’m not too sure how any of the finance works but you get paid for your pre-reg training year. However, if you do the 5 year course, you’d have to pay 9k extra for your training year as it’s part of the degree. So in my opinion, you’d be better off doing the training year separately after you graduate from the 4 year course. The only benefit that doing the integrated pre-reg course holds is that it allows international students to complete the training as part of their degree for Visa-related reasons.
I ended up applying to both the 4 year course and 5 year course thinking that it could help my chances- it didn’t! I just got an offer for UCL MPharm thankfully but my second option (integrated pre-reg) got automatically disqualified, so don’t apply to both if you were thinking to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending