The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Interview guidance 2024

Hi ,
I have interviews coming up for Keele , DMU and Aston university for Mpharm. I have also applied to UCLAN and Sunderland university.I was wondering what sort of questions would come up in a pharmacy interview ( related to these universities if possible).
Also I Know some universities require you to sit a maths test so I was wondering if that is hard.
Thankssss

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chiarafenmo
Hi ,
I have interviews coming up for Keele , DMU and Aston university for Mpharm. I have also applied to UCLAN and Sunderland university.I was wondering what sort of questions would come up in a pharmacy interview ( related to these universities if possible).
Also I Know some universities require you to sit a maths test so I was wondering if that is hard.
Thankssss

Hi there @Chiarafenmo - firstly, congratulations on getting an Interview for our MPharm programme here at DMU, and for the other Universities as well! 😇🥼🥳

There is some helpful advice on our Interviews page for MPharm!🧫
Regarding the Maths questions you will be asked during the interview: you should bring a pen and paper to jot down your working and help you with this portion! Also asking for a repeat of the question is no bad thing as long if you need clarity😊

Your interview will last between 15 and 30 minutes. The interviewer will ask you some questions about yourself and why you are interested in pharmacy so that you can showcase your communication skills. You will then be asked some numeracy questions (calculator not allowed, but as above, you may use pen and paper) followed by a hypothetical scenario to assess your values and judgement. Finally, you will be given the opportunity to ask questions!🤓

There also some Top Tips from the team as well as sample questions ---❔ ---
Interview advice (dmu.ac.uk)
Pharmacy interview sample questions (dmu.ac.uk)
Pharmacy-mpharm-year-zero (dmu.ac.uk)

All the best!

-Rose🌹, De Montfort University Rep.
Hi ,
Thankssss

Hi @Chiarafenmo, 😊

How are you? Amazing to hear that you are applying to study Pharmacy at uni and that you have already received some interview invites, you must be so pleased! 😊

I know here at UCLan we send out guidance notes to those who have been invited to interview, these notes will contain all the information students will need for their specific interview. For our MPharm Pharmacy course the interview will take around 20-30 minutes, there is also a calculus test which is taken separately and is usually in the morning after you arrive. For the interview part you will likely be asked to explain your understanding of the role and responsibilities of a pharmacist and to discuss why you're interested in studying pharmacy at that university.

For your interview, it's useful to take a notebook and pen in case there is any important points you need to note down. Having some questions ready to ask your interviewer is really useful as you can learn more about the university and course to see if it's the right fit for you. It also shows the interviewer that you are prepared and enthusiastic.

There are some great top tips for preparing for university interviews over on our page which you can find here.

Mariam who is one of our 4th year students studying MPharm has also shared some useful tips for preparing for your interview which you can find here.

If you have any questions about the course or life here as a student at UCLan, I'd be happy to help. 😊

Wishing you all the best for your interviews,
Sarah
Reply 3
Hi ,
Thankssss

Hi there,

Congratulations on securing your interviews 🙂

In regards to the MPharm interview, we'll expect you to:

Answer questions relating to personal experience, for example, from work (paid or voluntary), family life, school, or college

Communicate clearly and effectively

Articulate your understanding of your chosen profession and why you're choosing this career path, including the challenges of being a student healthcare professional

Express your enthusiasm for your chosen course

Demonstrate that you understand the demands of your chosen course

Contribute to, and engage with others in, the group interview (if applicable).

The numeracy test is a key part of the interview and assessed at every stage of the course, so having a good grasp of the subject is vital. Further information on the test will be sent to you in advance of the interview.
You can also find out more about our interviews here :smile:
Hi ,
Thankssss

Hi! I'm currently an MPharm student at Keele. My interview was mainly about why pharmacy, why keele, and problem-solving scenarios. I'm sure this can apply to your other interviews. They don't expect you to know a great amount but they want to see that you follow a logical train of thought and justify your answers. I would also look at the GPhC "Standards for Pharmacy Professionals" and think about them when you're answering. Your decision making as a pharmacy student and subsequently as a pharmacist, should keep them in mind, with patient-centred care and your duty of care of the patient's health being at the top of the list. Hope that helps! Feel free to ask any more questions
Reply 6
Original post by PharmacyCat
Hi! I'm currently an MPharm student at Keele. My interview was mainly about why pharmacy, why keele, and problem-solving scenarios. I'm sure this can apply to your other interviews. They don't expect you to know a great amount but they want to see that you follow a logical train of thought and justify your answers. I would also look at the GPhC "Standards for Pharmacy Professionals" and think about them when you're answering. Your decision making as a pharmacy student and subsequently as a pharmacist, should keep them in mind, with patient-centred care and your duty of care of the patient's health being at the top of the list. Hope that helps! Feel free to ask any more questions

Thank you so muchhhh
Hi ,
Thankssss

Hey i had my aston interview for MPharm in december and received an offer! So a week before the interview they sent me 2 cases and i has to answer a few questions about the scenario to give my opinion.
Then during the interview they just asked me questions about my opinion on the cases, like do you agree/disagree etc. It lasted 10 minutes. They you have the opportunity to ask a question at the end.
The interviewer was really nice and chill and the questions were nice to.
Reply 8
what other unis did u apply to x
Reply 9
Original post by nora.aa169
Hey i had my aston interview for MPharm in december and received an offer! So a week before the interview they sent me 2 cases and i has to answer a few questions about the scenario to give my opinion.
Then during the interview they just asked me questions about my opinion on the cases, like do you agree/disagree etc. It lasted 10 minutes. They you have the opportunity to ask a question at the end.

Heyyyy ahh congrats on the offer !!!
Did they only ask questions to do with the scenario or did they ask any others.
Also where else have u applied?
Reply 10

Also , where they just generic questions or did we have to apply it to pharmacy ?
Tyyy
Original post by choutr
what other unis did u apply to x

i applied to uob, wolverhampton, Leicester and nottingham (but withdrew my application for leicester and nottingham as i’m 100% i don’t want to go out of birmingham so saw no point in me continuing my application for there)

Thank you!
They only asked questions regarding the scenarios. No other trick questions.
I applied to the unis i’ve explained above ^ :smile:
So they asked whether we agree/disagree, they also linked it to pharmacy (do you think pharmacists have a role in this case). They tried to see if we could reason with people who would think on the other end (for example i disagreed with one of the scenarios and then he asked me why do you think people would agree with this case)
Just have strong advantages and disadvantages of each scenario, know whether you disagree or agree and know why people would think otherwise, and have a good alternative for the scenarios proposed if you disagree with them and you should be fine! :smile:
Reply 13

Thank you!
So they asked whether we agree/disagree, they also linked it to pharmacy (do you think pharmacists have a role in this case). They tried to see if we could reason with people who would think on the other end (for example i disagreed with one of the scenarios and then he asked me why do you think people would agree with this case)
Just have strong advantages and disadvantages of each scenario, know whether you disagree or agree and know why people would think otherwise, and have a good alternative for the scenarios proposed if you disagree with them and you should be fine! :smile:
was that in person or microsoft teams?
Reply 14
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi there @Chiarafenmo - firstly, congratulations on getting an Interview for our MPharm programme here at DMU, and for the other Universities as well! 😇🥼🥳

There is some helpful advice on our Interviews page for MPharm!🧫
Regarding the Maths questions you will be asked during the interview: you should bring a pen and paper to jot down your working and help you with this portion! Also asking for a repeat of the question is no bad thing as long if you need clarity😊

Your interview will last between 15 and 30 minutes. The interviewer will ask you some questions about yourself and why you are interested in pharmacy so that you can showcase your communication skills. You will then be asked some numeracy questions (calculator not allowed, but as above, you may use pen and paper) followed by a hypothetical scenario to assess your values and judgement. Finally, you will be given the opportunity to ask questions!🤓

There also some Top Tips from the team as well as sample questions ---❔ ---
Interview advice (dmu.ac.uk)
Pharmacy interview sample questions (dmu.ac.uk)
Pharmacy-mpharm-year-zero (dmu.ac.uk)

All the best!

-Rose🌹, De Montfort University Rep.

can the dmu interviews be done in person
Original post by choutr

Thank you!

was that in person or microsoft teams?

the interview was online on microsoft teams
Reply 16

Hi, what is a typical timetable like for pharmacy at Keele like? is it 9-5 monday - friday or are there less contact hours? Is it all in person or is some of it online?
Original post by username6617689

hi how long after the interview did you get your offer? I feel like I might've messed the interview up but its been over a week and no response even though they said to allow up to 7 days
Original post by AnnBinu
Hi, what is a typical timetable like for pharmacy at Keele like? is it 9-5 monday - friday or are there less contact hours? Is it all in person or is some of it online?

During 1st and 2nd year you have more contact hours, and you are in 4-5 days a week. Not necessarily 9 to 5 but you do tend to get like 3-5 hours of lectures a day. In 3rd year it becomes more independent and you attend from 2-4 days a week and have less lectures per day because they give you other material to work on outside of class that is still examinable.
Reply 19
During 1st and 2nd year you have more contact hours, and you are in 4-5 days a week. Not necessarily 9 to 5 but you do tend to get like 3-5 hours of lectures a day. In 3rd year it becomes more independent and you attend from 2-4 days a week and have less lectures per day because they give you other material to work on outside of class that is still examinable.

Thank you! What are the placements like and how often do you get them? What's your favourite part about studying at Keele?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending