The Student Room Group

Chemical structures Biology A level

I'm doing AQA biology A-Level as a private candidate and my assigned tutor is not very helpful. I'm trying very hard to figure out what I need to learn. I get the sense I'm supposed to know how to draw alpha and beta glucose from scratch, and if so, what other structures am I supposed to know how to draw for the exam so I can prepare?
Reply 1
. For other biological molecules, the spec states that you need to be able to draw, identify and label:
. ATP
. RNA nucleotide
. DNA nucleotide
. Triglyceride
. Phospholipid
. Two alpha glucose monomers (maltose)
. Two beta glucose monomers (cellobiose)
Reply 2
Original post by kitty15
. For other biological molecules, the spec states that you need to be able to draw, identify and label:
. ATP
. RNA nucleotide
. DNA nucleotide
. Triglyceride
. Phospholipid
. Two alpha glucose monomers (maltose)
. Two beta glucose monomers (cellobiose)

Thank you so much for your answer. You won't believe how difficult I have found it to get a straight answer to that question. One last thing, out of curiosity do you get a copy of the periodic table when you sit the exams?
Reply 3
No, you don’t need the periodic table, I can’t think of anytime when you will need it in a question. It’s not provided and you don’t need to work out relative atomic masses or anything so you won’t need it at all
Reply 4
Original post by kitty15
No, you don’t need the periodic table, I can’t think of anytime when you will need it in a question. It’s not provided and you don’t need to work out relative atomic masses or anything so you won’t need it at all

Do check the specification as it will provide a list of the things you need to learn, anything you are provided with, and a list of the required practicals you will have to study!

Quick Reply

Latest