The Student Room Group

how much do oxford and cambridge consider GCSEs?

i received 9, 9, Distinction, 7, 7, 7, 7, 6, 4. i’m applying for english literature, which i received an A for. the 7s are GCSE English Lit and Lang. but i got a 4 in maths, not a woman in STEM unfortunately. would they really take gcse maths into consideration, although it’s quite literally the opposite of english?
only if they state a higher grade is required but unlikely for English. If it is stated as a requirement you will be rejected. Check the entry requirement. I believe a London university does have it is a requirement for every subject.
Original post by kaxxxxc2
i received 9, 9, Distinction, 7, 7, 7, 7, 6, 4. i’m applying for english literature, which i received an A for. the 7s are GCSE English Lit and Lang. but i got a 4 in maths, not a woman in STEM unfortunately. would they really take gcse maths into consideration, although it’s quite literally the opposite of english?

They don't really mark down with GCSEs, so having one low grade in an unrelated subject isn't much of an issue. The 7s in English are more of a problem, as most applicants will have 9s in the relevant subjects they're applying for. It's difficult for us to say how they'll be assessed, as Oxbridge don't have strict GCSE requirements. They'll compare your grades to the averages for your school and your cohort specifically, alongside other data, so they can contextualise your academic achievements. Without knowing all of this contextual information about you, it's hard to judge how they'll be received by Oxbridge. It's definitely not unheard of for people to receive offers without 9s anyway - I'm one of them.
Reply 3
Original post by kaxxxxc2

They look at your application holistically, so yes your 4 in maths will affect your application, as im pretty sure 5/6 is the minium you need to achieve. Also as you attained 7s in english at gcses, that in it self will look bad on your application as most applicants would have 9s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending