The Student Room Group

Chemistry alevel with dyscalculia

Hi,
I am really struggling with chemistry as I have dyscalculia and chem has a lot of maths.. I got a C in my exams last year but i need an A for uni, so does anyone have any tips on how to get my head round the maths and make it stick. I’m retaking btw
Original post by Emmaz033
Hi,
I am really struggling with chemistry as I have dyscalculia and chem has a lot of maths.. I got a C in my exams last year but i need an A for uni, so does anyone have any tips on how to get my head round the maths and make it stick. I’m retaking btw

Okay. I know this seems difficult but it may be worth trying to make a standard method that you always follow and always write out your values and every step of your working out. There are people on TSR that can help with chemistry such as myself and there are so many resources online.
Let me give you some examples of methods (I use acronyms) - for working out empirical formula, I use MRSA:
M - moles (work out number of moles - usually c x v)
R - (molar) ratio
S - simplify (divide each number of moles you have by the smallest number of moles)
A - apply

for any question where you need to work out a concentration or number of moles, etc (especially in redox) - use EMMA
E - equation
M - moles (work out a number of moles)
M - molar ratio (to use ratio to work out another value of n)
A - apply (use the values you found to get the information you need)
Reply 2
Wow, thank you so much, i have never seen this before. I think this could really help :smile:
Original post by JA03
Okay. I know this seems difficult but it may be worth trying to make a standard method that you always follow and always write out your values and every step of your working out. There are people on TSR that can help with chemistry such as myself and there are so many resources online.
Let me give you some examples of methods (I use acronyms) - for working out empirical formula, I use MRSA:
M - moles (work out number of moles - usually c x v)
R - (molar) ratio
S - simplify (divide each number of moles you have by the smallest number of moles)
A - apply

for any question where you need to work out a concentration or number of moles, etc (especially in redox) - use EMMA
E - equation
M - moles (work out a number of moles)
M - molar ratio (to use ratio to work out another value of n)
A - apply (use the values you found to get the information you need)
(edited 1 year ago)
Wow, thank you so much, i have never seen this before. I think this could really help :smile:

I personally don't have dyscalculia and I imagine it's difficult especially with a maths-heavy subject like chemistry so use memorised methods, acronyms, even little tunes can help you. If you ever get stuck on a question, post it on TSR and feel free to tag me in the post so I can help you and maybe other chemistry TSRians can help you too!
Reply 4
Thank you :smile:
Original post by JA03
I personally don't have dyscalculia and I imagine it's difficult especially with a maths-heavy subject like chemistry so use memorised methods, acronyms, even little tunes can help you. If you ever get stuck on a question, post it on TSR and feel free to tag me in the post so I can help you and maybe other chemistry TSRians can help you too!
Hi,

Heya!
Would it be helpful if someone went over the chem maths? There are tons of videos on chem on YT that go over the maths material with examples which you might find helpful :h: If it helps Study mind offers free revision notes as well all done by topic.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 6
This is a weird one but will I get the marks if I write numbers wrong way round. This doesn’t happen often but if im rushing it can or like for some reason I keep writing and S instead of a 2 eg S2O3^s- instead of S2O3^2- they probably wouldn’t give me the marks would they? Or maybe they would consider this due to learning disabilities? As I said it’s not a common occurrence but exams are stressful and this is easily missed when correcting
This is a weird one but will I get the marks if I write numbers wrong way round. This doesn’t happen often but if im rushing it can or like for some reason I keep writing and S instead of a 2 eg S2O3^s- instead of S2O3^2- they probably wouldn’t give me the marks would they? Or maybe they would consider this due to learning disabilities? As I said it’s not a common occurrence but exams are stressful and this is easily missed when correcting

You could get marked down for it but please chill and relax. Don’t stress yourself out.

I'll tell you this, as a person who doesn't have dyscalculia. I make mistakes like that all the time - one time I was doing the half lives and I wrote 4x103 and 4x10-3 for them so I lost the marks for those but please don't stress out.

Quick Reply

Latest