The Student Room Group

GCSE chemistry calculations

right so chemistry gcse is on monday, i do combuined science edexcel. Im pretty strong at chemistry, but one thing i can't do is calculations. Ive never gotten how to do the complicated 3 or 4 mark ones. So if i skip every calculations question that comes up in the actual GCSE do you think its still possible to get a 9?
I highly recommend watching Free Science lessons on YouTube for support as he goes through Avogadros constant and moles, you should also find online sources with questions regarding calculations with their answers to track your understanding and progress.
One more thing, it is still possible to get 9, but make sure to do well on other questions and your holistic grade will be depicted from all 6 papers so don't stress it and most of all good luck!
Original post by glorygoblin
right so chemistry gcse is on monday, i do combuined science edexcel. Im pretty strong at chemistry, but one thing i can't do is calculations. Ive never gotten how to do the complicated 3 or 4 mark ones. So if i skip every calculations question that comes up in the actual GCSE do you think its still possible to get a 9?

I’m not sure but please at least attempt to do the questions then at least you can pick up a few marks, if you don’t even try doing them you’re 100% going to get no marks on them but if you try you still have a possibility
When I remember back to doing GCSE's, I think I used to get marks for even writing equations down. Potentially if you dont know what to do just got an educated guess equation down or something? I always try to do that to this day, its worked once or twice

good luck!
Reply 5

for the best possible chnace of getting a grade 9, i think youll have to try on every question so you have a better possibility. you should try to watch freesciencelessons like the person above said. i think you will more likely get your grade 9. youll do amazing so dont stress!!
Reply 6

I think you probabaly shouldnt try and skip every maths question because sometimes they can be worth quite a few marks. I would definitely reccomend instead of fully skipping them, try to do any sort of calculations linked to the question (even if you dont think they are accurate) because often times you can pick up a few marks just from correct calculations
Reply 7

Hey! I am also doing the same course and the exam is today :smile: I think at least calculate the moles for any question as it usually gets you a mark. Remember mass = moles/Mr. Good luck for today!! :biggrin:
Original post by Maybar
Hey! I am also doing the same course and the exam is today :smile: I think at least calculate the moles for any question as it usually gets you a mark. Remember mass = moles/Mr. Good luck for today!! :biggrin:

Mass = moles x mr*

I think you mixed it up with moles = mass/mr

Good luck!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Ah yes, thank you! I meant to say Moles = mass/mr :smile:

Sorry for the mix-up!

Good luck to you too :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest