The Student Room Group

A-level Chem Question

A hydrated trycarboxylic acid has the formula A3B.xH2O. A 3g sample of A3B.xH2O contains 1.826g of oxygen. The sample burns completely in air to form 3.78g of CO2 and 1.286g of H2O.

Show the empirical formula of citric acid is C3H5O4

my chemistry teacher got mad at us because we weren’t able to get the answer within 5 minutes but I cant see any short way to do this question.
Reply 1
Original post by Flora_x
A hydrated trycarboxylic acid has the formula A3B.xH2O. A 3g sample of A3B.xH2O contains 1.826g of oxygen. The sample burns completely in air to form 3.78g of CO2 and 1.286g of H2O.

my chemistry teacher got mad at us because we weren’t able to get the answer within 5 minutes but I cant see any short way to do this question.

Tell him/her that since the Q states that the acid is citric acid, then you can look up the empirical formula on Wikipedia in about 5 seconds, never mind 5 minutes.

What the hell does A3B even mean?

That is by no means an easy Q.
Original post by Flora_x

It’s a horribly written question and as Pigster has pointed out, A3B is an utterly meaningless formula.

It might help to know a few tricks for combustion analysis of organic compounds:

-The moles of CO2 produced = the moles of carbon atoms in the sample burnt.

-The moles of H2O produced = 1/2 x the moles of hydrogen atoms in the sample burnt.

Try calculating the moles of C, H and O atoms and see if you can get a solution from there.

Quick Reply

Latest