The Student Room Group

Help! I have no idea of what career I want do do!

I'm currently in year 12, studying Maths, Biology, Chemistry and French at A Level.
I love chemistry, as I find it so interesting, and I also like maths. I like some parts of biology (e.g. biochemistry, genetics, diseases), but I dislike other parts of it (e.g. exchange surfaces, body systems).
My career options are: GP (do a medicine degree), academic researcher (do a chem/biochem degree), chemical engineer, or pharmacy.

I have no idea if I should do medicine of pharmacy- I like the idea of helping people, but I'm quite shy (but I could get more confident). I also don't really like dissections, but I think that, after doing them more often, I would be able to get used to them.

I would do academic research, but the pay is quite low and it takes many years to get to a higher level. This is why chemical engineering/medicine/pharmacy sound more appealing (due to the higher pay).

Please help me decide what career I should do!
Reply 1
Original post by KKS12345
I'm currently in year 12, studying Maths, Biology, Chemistry and French at A Level.
I love chemistry, as I find it so interesting, and I also like maths. I like some parts of biology (e.g. biochemistry, genetics, diseases), but I dislike other parts of it (e.g. exchange surfaces, body systems).
My career options are: GP (do a medicine degree), academic researcher (do a chem/biochem degree), chemical engineer, or pharmacy.

I have no idea if I should do medicine of pharmacy- I like the idea of helping people, but I'm quite shy (but I could get more confident). I also don't really like dissections, but I think that, after doing them more often, I would be able to get used to them.

I would do academic research, but the pay is quite low and it takes many years to get to a higher level. This is why chemical engineering/medicine/pharmacy sound more appealing (due to the higher pay).

Please help me decide what career I should do!

I think a pharmacist would be the most stable one, but if you don't care about stability, I feel a chemist/ chemical engineer would be more interesting.
Reply 2
Original post by userXi
I think a pharmacist would be the most stable one, but if you don't care about stability, I feel a chemist/ chemical engineer would be more interesting.

yes that's true! do pharmacists actually make the medicines? or do they just dispense them?
Reply 3
Look at Pharmacy or Pharmacology - Choosing between Pharmacy and Pharmacology (bath.ac.uk)

Natural Sciences may also suit you as its an interdisciplinary science degree with different science combinations available at each Uni that offers it - two examples : Welcome to Natural Sciences - The University of Nottingham and Natural Sciences | Undergraduate study | Loughborough University (lboro.ac.uk)

And there is a interesting range of Biological Sciences at Bristol that also might help you work out a direction - Undergraduate | School of Cellular and Molecular Medicine | University of Bristol
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Look at Pharmacy or Pharmacology - Choosing between Pharmacy and Pharmacology (bath.ac.uk)

Natural Sciences may also suit you as its an interdisciplinary science degree with different science combinations available at each Uni that offers it - two examples : Welcome to Natural Sciences - The University of Nottingham and Natural Sciences | Undergraduate study | Loughborough University (lboro.ac.uk)

And there is a interesting range of Biological Sciences at Bristol that also might help you work out a direction - Undergraduate | School of Cellular and Molecular Medicine | University of Bristol

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest