The Student Room Group

Personal statement: Biological sciences

Hi there, would I still be able to apply to things such as Biology/biochem/biomed if my personal statement is based on biological sciences? I haven't mentioned switching during the course as I don't intend to but they share a similar first year.
Yes
Original post by rectangular-road
Hi there, would I still be able to apply to things such as Biology/biochem/biomed if my personal statement is based on biological sciences? I haven't mentioned switching during the course as I don't intend to but they share a similar first year.

Hey @rectangular-road

You should be fine to switch courses (dependent on timetabling/space etc.), especially if they share a common first year. I'd recommend contacting departments as soon as possible if you do end up deciding you want to switch courses, as the sooner it gets changed, the easier it is with all the admin.

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @rectangular-road

You should be fine to switch courses (dependent on timetabling/space etc.), especially if they share a common first year. I'd recommend contacting departments as soon as possible if you do end up deciding you want to switch courses, as the sooner it gets changed, the easier it is with all the admin.

Thank you but my question was would they still accept me for a course like biomed for example if they see a personal statement based on biological sciences?
Thank you but my question was would they still accept me for a course like biomed for example if they see a personal statement based on biological sciences?

Hey @rectangular-road

In short, probably. It depends on what areas of biology you've focused on in your statement and if the university actually places much weight on your personal statement. If you've written mainly about your passion for ecology, it might be more tricky, but assuming the biological science areas mentioned are relevant it should be fine.

Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @rectangular-road

In short, probably. It depends on what areas of biology you've focused on in your statement and if the university actually places much weight on your personal statement. If you've written mainly about your passion for ecology, it might be more tricky, but assuming the biological science areas mentioned are relevant it should be fine.

When you say are relevant, what would be relevant? Would it be topics covered for a biological science course therefore allowing for me to apply to biology/biomed/biochem or would it have to be specific to one of those courses? Currently I'm not certain which one of those I would like to apply to as my other choices. So far I've put down the course 'Biological Science' at the university of Leeds and Birmingham but some unis that I want to go to don't do the course of 'Biological Science', you have to pick which specific field of it you want to do.
When you say are relevant, what would be relevant? Would it be topics covered for a biological science course therefore allowing for me to apply to biology/biomed/biochem or would it have to be specific to one of those courses? Currently I'm not certain which one of those I would like to apply to as my other choices. So far I've put down the course 'Biological Science' at the university of Leeds and Birmingham but some unis that I want to go to don't do the course of 'Biological Science', you have to pick which specific field of it you want to do.

Basically stuff that is common to all of the courses. So anything relating to idk, more fundamental physiology issues, genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, developmental biology, molecular biology etc is broadly applicable to all. As noted topics relating to more specific areas in e.g. ecology, evolution, larger scale organismal biology, more applied topics in e.g. human pathophysiology etc, would probably be less broad ranging and suitable to all the courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending