The Student Room Group

A level Physics

Hi guys! How to identify positions from destructive and constructive interferences from a Huygen's principle diagram??
Original post by Anlasan
Hi guys! How to identify positions from destructive and constructive interferences from a Huygen's principle diagram??

Huygen' principle on a double slit, I guess? you know that when the waves are in phase, they have contructive interferences, otherwise they are destructive. Look at the pattern, if it is in existence. The light and dark bands have a meaning. The dark bands comes into being when the waves intersect with each other. What does this mean for the interference and what the light bands in this context?

Picture to the Huygens' diagram and informations!
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kallisto
Huygen' principle on a double slit, I guess? you know that when the waves are in phase, they have contructive interferences, otherwise they are destructive. Look at the pattern, if it is in existence. The light and dark bands have a meaning. The dark bands comes into being when the waves intersect with each other. What does this mean for the interference and what the light bands in this context?

Picture to the Huygens' diagram and informations!

I mean about the water waves...Like where are the points of constructive and destructive interfereferences in a ripple
Original post by Anlasan
I mean about the water waves...Like where are the points of constructive and destructive interfereferences in a ripple

It is an animation, but real water waves in a ripple work exactly like this. You can see two intersecting waves and how they form stripes at some locations of this intersection. These stripes are the destructive intereference.

Click me!
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest