The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do A level Physics, chemistry and Biology ?

I've been wondering about doing All three sciences at A levels because I am interested in all of them but I'm not sure what to do next in terms of a career , that being medicine or something that I can do with a Chemistry degree. I also want to get A-A* in all three subjects though I hear that Maths is practically necessary to do physics. I also want to have a job in sixth form so I'm not sure whether I'd have enough time to do all 4 of them.
Reply 1
Original post by Sigmakernal
I've been wondering about doing All three sciences at A levels because I am interested in all of them but I'm not sure what to do next in terms of a career , that being medicine or something that I can do with a Chemistry degree. I also want to get A-A* in all three subjects though I hear that Maths is practically necessary to do physics. I also want to have a job in sixth form so I'm not sure whether I'd have enough time to do all 4 of them.

Maths A-level is not strictly necessary for A-level physics which really only needs basic trigonometry, logarithms, exponentiaks, standard notation and algebra. Some rudimentary differentiation can also help. You can pick up these skills without taking a full maths A-level.

Grab a second-hand copy of Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud (does not need to be the latest edition) with which you can literally teach yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by uberteknik
Maths A-level is not strictly necessary for A-level physics which really only needs basic trigonometry, logarithms, exponentiaks, standard notation and algebra. Some rudimentary differentiation can also help. You can pick up these skills without taking a full maths A-level.

Grab a second-hand copy of Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud (does not need to be the latest edition) with which you can literally teach yourself.

Would i still be able to pursue a chemistry degree? Also thanks ill make sure to pick up that book sometime
Reply 3

not to scare you, 2 of my friends do this and they absolutely struggle (they are very smart) they regret taking physics as its very complicated and that mixed with chem and bio made it even worse. Being in y13 and sitting our alevels rn they did not feel like physics went well. (They did very well in GCSEs btw and liked physics)
make ur life easier and take 2 sciences Maxx I do chem bio and history and im still struggling, with 3 sciences all my friends said it is hell. They said it will be a miracle if they get an A and if ur aiming for A* PLS PLS PLS make ur life easier
(edited 10 months ago)
Maths isn't necessary for a level physics. I think the only non-GCSE maths in a level physics is exponentials and logarithms (which you can just learn without doing a level maths). However, most degrees that require physics a level tend to also require maths a level, so keep that in mind.
Reply 5

chem bio maths is the best way forward for you if you want to get good grades, people with good memory enjoy bio, chem takes a lot a practice but is doable and maths might come naturally to you or you can work for it like i did. physics students tend to regret taking physics in the long run, its also easier to get a good grade in maths than physics from what ive heard.
You could do bio, chem and physics, but yeah just check what A levels universities want from you. And generally I've found that people generally take either maths/physics/chemistry or maths/chem/bio. But you don't have to do those combinations, but you should check what your options are. Or alternatively maybe you could start your a levels off by doing all 4 and see which ones you like better if that's an option for you?
Would i still be able to pursue a chemistry degree? Also thanks ill make sure to pick up that book sometime

You could, but not having a maths A level will limit your options.
Reply 8
Ok guys thanks for the advice, didn't expect so much in so little time 😁. I glthink I might go over the content of each subject over my 10 week holiday ( finished my last GCSE exam yesterday) . Hopefully if I feel comfortable enough I'd be able to choose. Just another question though is A-level maths the Same as GCSE maths or is it different in terms of thinking and logic?
Ok guys thanks for the advice, didn't expect so much in so little time 😁. I glthink I might go over the content of each subject over my 10 week holiday ( finished my last GCSE exam yesterday) . Hopefully if I feel comfortable enough I'd be able to choose. Just another question though is A-level maths the Same as GCSE maths or is it different in terms of thinking and logic?

It's somewhat similar in terms of the type of thinking required in my opinion (though of course you do different stuff). However at a level, it's split up so you do 2/3 pure maths, 1/6 statistics and 1/6 mechanics. By the way, would you be willing to share a list of every degree subject you're considering? That would be helpful :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Labradoodle1
It's somewhat similar in terms of the type of thinking required in my opinion (though of course you do different stuff). However at a level, it's split up so you do 2/3 pure maths, 1/6 statistics and 1/6 mechanics. By the way, would you be willing to share a list of every degree subject you're considering? That would be helpful :smile:

Sure, medicine(if I take this route,I'd probably spend 10 years to become a GP), chemistry( not sure what exactly to do with this one in terms of jobs(, biochemistry ( in the same boat as chemistry)
Sure, medicine(if I take this route,I'd probably spend 10 years to become a GP), chemistry( not sure what exactly to do with this one in terms of jobs(, biochemistry ( in the same boat as chemistry)

Oh okay, so biology and chemistry are essential. I'd consider maths as a third subject, as it's required for some chemistry and biochemistry degrees, but technically you could do any of those degrees without it. If you have any particular universities you're interested in, definitely check their requirements. Physics a level won't really give you an edge for any of those degrees so I wouldn't bother with it personally.

Chemistry is good if you want to pick up a wide range of transferrable skills.

The most obvious careers you’d expect chemistry graduates to go into would be research or teaching science. But weirdly, at some universities most of their chemistry graduates actually go into the finance sector or go onto patent law.

I’m not too sure about biochemistry, though I imagine there are similar job prospects available.
(edited 10 months ago)

40% of A-Level Physics is A-Level Mechanics and and there is some A-Level Further Mechanics in Physics as well, but Physics is less mathematical.

So unless you want to take A-Level Maths, Further Maths and Physics to do Natural Sciences (Physical) or Engineering or Computer Science, then do A-Levels in Maths, Chemistry and Biology. :smile:
Original post by thegeek888
40% of A-Level Physics is A-Level Mechanics and and there is some A-Level Further Mechanics in Physics as well, but Physics is less mathematical.

So unless you want to take A-Level Maths, Further Maths and Physics to do Natural Sciences (Physical) or Engineering or Computer Science, then do A-Levels in Maths, Chemistry and Biology. :smile:

agreed dont go near physics unless u have to
Reply 15
Okay, after being proven to that taking A level physics is not worth it ( for my career aspirations anyway, I'll go with chem bio and math's in order to preserve my future self's sanity
Original post by thegeek888

I'm not sure where you got the '40% of A-Level Physics is A-Level Mechanics' from, it's definitely a much smaller percentage than that.
Reply 17
you can, unsure if you would come out alive haha. all my friends say they are very very hard. i think do 2 maybe? there are easier sciences to do as well like psychology, which is interesting for me
Okay, after being proven to that taking A level physics is not worth it ( for my career aspirations anyway, I'll go with chem bio and math's in order to preserve my future self's sanity

Good choice and good luck with your studies :smile:
Reply 19

Heya!
If it helps, use this uniguide alvl explorer to see what you can do with your alvls :h: Maths isn't needed for alvl physics but if you want to do a physics degree then maths is needed. For a chemistry degree you should be fine with the choice you have!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest