The Student Room Group

Magdalen, New College and Worcester college comparison.

Out of the colleges - Magdalen, New College and Worcester (Oxford colleges), which one can guarantee an undergraduate first year student an en-suite bedroom? The alternative prospectus provides no information on this and I am really struggling to find information! Which college has the best halal/vegetarian food (mushroom allergy though), and which has mini-fridges in the bedrooms? Please help me! I would really appreciate any kind of help at all in choosing one college. Also which is the prettiest college?
Reply 1
Magdalen's first year accommodation is not en suite. The vegetarian hall options are among the worst in the university but you do get your own fridge and decent kitchens to cook for yourself. Lots of first year accommodation has *very* shared bathrooms so if you're keen for en suite, that might put you off. All three of those colleges are pretty but I think Magdalen's grounds and easy access to the university parks give it the edge in that respect.
I don't know if it can guarantee en suite for first year, but Worcester is 72% en suite with access to good kitchens across all the undergrad rooms (and mini fridges provided in most undergrad rooms, from what I remember). So there's a good chance of getting one. If there's a medical need for one, you can declare it when information about room allocation is being given out, and that'd sort that out for you.

The chef at the time I was at Worcester (13 years ago, so things have probably changed!) was big on mushrooms for the vegetarian food though. As has been said, all three of those colleges are very pretty! BJack forgot to mention the deer at Magdalen! :love: Worcester has a small lake and ducks :yes:
Reply 3
Original post by BJack
Magdalen's first year accommodation is not en suite. The vegetarian hall options are among the worst in the university but you do get your own fridge and decent kitchens to cook for yourself. Lots of first year accommodation has *very* shared bathrooms so if you're keen for en suite, that might put you off. All three of those colleges are pretty but I think Magdalen's grounds and easy access to the university parks give it the edge in that respect.

Thank you so much, that information has been super helpful. I agree, Magdalen is very pretty :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I don't know if it can guarantee en suite for first year, but Worcester is 72% en suite with access to good kitchens across all the undergrad rooms (and mini fridges provided in most undergrad rooms, from what I remember). So there's a good chance of getting one. If there's a medical need for one, you can declare it when information about room allocation is being given out, and that'd sort that out for you.

The chef at the time I was at Worcester (13 years ago, so things have probably changed!) was big on mushrooms for the vegetarian food though. As has been said, all three of those colleges are very pretty! BJack forgot to mention the deer at Magdalen! :love: Worcester has a small lake and ducks :yes:

Thank you so much! I absolutely detest mushrooms, so this information has been invaluable!
Reply 5
About 70-80% of first-year rooms at New College are ensuite, which is one of the highest, if not the highest, of any Oxford college as far as I know. Virtually all rooms have at least a mini-fridge, and some even have larger fridges. The vegetarian food is fine, neither amazing nor terrible. And it is an extraordinarily pretty college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending