The Student Room Group

tips

how to help with procrastination?
Original post by Anonymous

Use your reminders/ calendar app on your phone, and everytime you get a new piece of homework, or something along those lines, QUICKLY MAKE A NOTE. Your calendar app is legendary, especially if you use it well and use it often.
Hope this helped!!

Hi,

Procrastination is every students' worst enemy. Trust me, it gets the best of all of us.

I find that breaking down the task or revision schedule in more comprehensible, concise and manageable chunks makes the task seem a lot more achievable. Oftentimes, we scare ourselves with the task at hand because we think of all the things we need to do as a whole and all at once.

If it's revision you're struggling with, I recommend you identify the topics you need brushing up on for each subject and just start small by covering a few topics per day. Eventually, you'll find that focusing will be a lot easier and comprehending the content will be a smoother process. Perhaps, once you've identified these topics you can input them in a revision timetable/schedule so that all of your tasks are displayed daily.

Lastly, if you have any friends that are going through the same issue as you, maybe you could get together and work on the tasks together. Oftentimes, we'll feel more motivated to do a task when we know we're not alone doing it. Remember to put your phones away though!

Hope this helps,
Danish :smile:
BCU Student Rep

Hiya :smile:,

I feel like procrastination affects every one of us at times. I have a few tested tricks that make me work at full speed seven days a week and effectively manage my student, professional and personal responsibilities.

1. Take a piece of paper and set your goals for the academic year. Just writing them down stimulates an attitude to action.

2. Buy yourself a paper or download an electronic calendar and plan your time conscientiously from today. I fill in my calendar every week and check it every day to not miss anything and get satisfaction from checking off the completed tasks. Additionally, by having a calendar and planning ahead, I give myself enough time not to miss any deadlines.

3. When you start acting, eliminate all distractors from your field of view. The time in the calendar allocated for learning is the time for learning. If you focus as much as possible, you will also achieve maximum efficiency. Reward yourself for such small successes.

4. Start with the hardest tasks. The more you do, the less you want to. So, leave these simple things for last.

I hope you will find that helpful! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions :wink: You can also chat with me and other student ambassadors through The Ambassador Platform.

Wish you all the best!

Julia :colondollar:
Psychology student
De Montfort University

' While wasting our time hesitating and procrastinating, life still goes on.' :bl:

:burnout:Some useful tools to help reduce procrastination.

Start Small - Break all large tasks down into smaller chunks to make your work more manageable.

Organise a plan - By creating a deadline of when you would like to complete things will help to keep you on task.

Create a to-do list - When you have completed each task, make sure you either check it off or use a highlighter to score it off. This helps to create a sense of satisfaction.

Eliminate Distractions - Provide yourself with a sufficient study/ work space, ensuring it is quiet or not too distracting, talk to friends and family for support.

Be Positive - remember to set realistic goals and praise yourself for achieving these.

Remember to prioritise tasks and then focus on small chunks at a time. You've got this! Good Luck!
(edited 6 months ago)

Procrastination can be a challenge, but there are effective strategies to overcome it at the university level:

Break Tasks into Smaller Steps: Divide large tasks into smaller, manageable parts. Tackle one step at a time, which can make the workload feel less overwhelming.

Set Clear Goals: Establish specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART) goals. Knowing exactly what you need to accomplish provides clarity and motivation.

Create a Schedule: Plan your study time using a schedule or to-do list. Allocate specific time slots for different tasks. Be realistic about how much time you need for each task.

Use Time Management Techniques: Consider techniques like the Pomodoro Technique, where you work for 25 minutes and then take a 5-minute break. Repeat this cycle to maintain focus.

Eliminate Distractions: Identify and remove distractions from your study environment. Turn off social media notifications, put your phone on silent, and create a quiet, focused space for studying.

Practice Self-Compassion: Be kind to yourself. Acknowledge that everyone struggles with procrastination at times. Avoid self-criticism, which can lead to further procrastination.

Reward Yourself: Set up a reward system. After completing a task or reaching a milestone, treat yourself to something you enjoy. Positive reinforcement can boost motivation.

Stay Organized: Keep your study materials, notes, and assignments well-organized. An organized workspace reduces the likelihood of feeling overwhelmed.

Seek Support: Talk to classmates, friends, or university support services if you're struggling. Sometimes, discussing your challenges with others can provide valuable perspectives and encouragement.

Practice Mindfulness and Stress Reduction: Techniques like meditation and deep breathing can help reduce stress and improve focus, making it easier to overcome procrastination.

Remember, finding the right strategy might require some trial and error. Stay patient, stay positive, and keep experimenting with different techniques until you find what works best for you.

Fatima
LSBU Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending