The Student Room Group

chemistry alevel mock

I just got my first year 12 January mock back and I got a D. I feel like my whole class is finding it easier than me.. Anyone else start off with a D in their mocks for chem? If so how did you improve ?
Original post by annoymous72
I just got my first year 12 January mock back and I got a D. I feel like my whole class is finding it easier than me.. Anyone else start off with a D in their mocks for chem? If so how did you improve ?

I started of year 12 (a month late) with a C in chem but achieved an A* at the end. If you are doing Edexcel chem then here are a few tips:

Don't make your own notes. I only used notes from Chemrevise (all free and very good).

To this, add some of the class notes you feel are important (just to supplement).

Print the cover sheets with the spec points and use this as your checklist.

Do all the PPQs you can find and add the mark scheme answers to your notes (IALS units 1-6 exams, AS level, A level). You will find that the same questions come up again and again. Exam technique is really important in chemistry. Using the write words could make or break your answer.

Make a formula sheet from the very beginning and know how to rearrange equations.

Don't memorise concepts but try and understand them. I watched a lot of Allery Chemistry to help with this.

Chem is supposed to be a build up of knowledge. You start of with the basics and eventually all that you have learned will apply to harder topics at the end. For eg: Knowing your mechanisms in Organic chem I will help with synthesis at the end of year 13. So really hone the basics. A strong foundation = a solid finish.

Hope this helps!
Maybe you have good advice how to improve in Chemistry A levels when students got a bad grade for first. It is your turn again, @5hyl33n!
Original post by annoymous72

Hello,

It's been a few days since you've posted this. How are things going?

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest