The Student Room Group

Year 12. Chem. Why am i so bad?

so at gcse i did combined science and did quite well, got a 9-9. Other than chemistry which I loved at gcse I didn't have that much of an interest in the other sciences. Moving onto a level i chose maths fm chem and cs, I like my subjects other than cs but with chemistry, I'M SO BAD. Currently on an E and idk what to do. I feel like I understand the content but in exams I just bug out and do ****, just doesn't reflect my ability at all. I try and there seems to be no point bc i just do bad. Had ucas mocks just this week and revised my ass off. The physical paper went horrible, probs got another E but the organic paper went a lot better. I need a C at least to do chem next year otherwise they'll force me to drop it. To revise, I make solid notes on the content, understand it then practice qs. What am I doing wrong? am i just not built for it
Reply 1
I want to do maths at a good uni but it's the chem grade that i'm worried is gonna f up my applications
Original post by imscareddaddy
I want to do maths at a good uni but it's the chem grade that i'm worried is gonna f up my applications

Unis only care about 3 A-levels in most cases I think
Reply 3
Original post by Talkative Toad
Unis only care about 3 A-levels in most cases I think

I know but i don't want to do cs next year. I hate it so much. I want to take maths fm and chem for next year
I know but i don't want to do cs next year. I hate it so much. I want to take maths fm and chem for next year

oh in that then idk.
Reply 5
I would recommend just going over as many past papers as you can as they tend to reuse different questions but just worded differently
so at gcse i did combined science and did quite well, got a 9-9. Other than chemistry which I loved at gcse I didn't have that much of an interest in the other sciences. Moving onto a level i chose maths fm chem and cs, I like my subjects other than cs but with chemistry, I'M SO BAD. Currently on an E and idk what to do. I feel like I understand the content but in exams I just bug out and do ****, just doesn't reflect my ability at all. I try and there seems to be no point bc i just do bad. Had ucas mocks just this week and revised my ass off. The physical paper went horrible, probs got another E but the organic paper went a lot better. I need a C at least to do chem next year otherwise they'll force me to drop it. To revise, I make solid notes on the content, understand it then practice qs. What am I doing wrong? am i just not built for it

Have you tried speaking to your teacher about this, I'm sure they would be more than an effective method in helping you out, otherwise maybe consider the fact you may just be a lost cause :confused:

Spoiler

Reply 7
i've been starting to think theres no hope for me..
Reply 8

If you're really desperate for a 4th a level maybe consider getting a tutor?
Reply 9
Original post by bmo_n
If you're really desperate for a 4th a level maybe consider getting a tutor?

a 4th a level is exactly what i do not want next yr in year 13. So i do maths fm chem cs and i hate cs sm and want to drop it, i enjoy chem but im so bad at it and im just hoping they'll let me do maths fm chem next year
Reply 10
a 4th a level is exactly what i do not want next yr in year 13. So i do maths fm chem cs and i hate cs sm and want to drop it, i enjoy chem but im so bad at it and im just hoping they'll let me do maths fm chem next year

Oh i see. If you really think you can do well in chem next year maybe you should talk to whoever's in charge of your 6th form, or whoever it is than organises subjects for the timetables. Talk to your teacher about it and see if they have time to go through the content with you as a 1 on 1 so they can focus on what you need.
but if you're struggling that badly with chemistry it might not be worth the stress. It's better to come out with 3 good a level grades, which will look better if you're planning to go to uni, than 2.
Don't take my word for it though lol, it's ultimately your decision whether or not you really wanna try with chemistry (given they let you take it next year). I'm also taking a level chemistry rn (aqa) and i've found websites like chemguide useful. It pretty much explains concepts in depth and also has exam style questions so you can practice applying your knowledge to exam style questions and eventually stop 'bugging out' in exams. Trust me when I say there's actually quite a few resources out there, you just need to be able to manage your time.
update! year 13 now and dropped cs last year in may. I got predicted an A in chemistry for ucas but to be honest idk how the hell ive managed that! Chem problem hasn't gone away and I've got a D in my january mocks. It's okay tho, 3-4 months left and I just need to really lock in. Our school got uplearn for us and given that I've watched the ad about 23948 times I know how good it is and they weren't lying lol. I'm loving uplearn and hopefully i can finish the entire course before exam season
Reply 12

Year 1 chem is so stupid I was getting Ds all throughout y12 , but im getting As now in y14 keep working hard snd asking for help you’ve got this
update! year 13 now and dropped cs last year in may. I got predicted an A in chemistry for ucas but to be honest idk how the hell ive managed that! Chem problem hasn't gone away and I've got a D in my january mocks. It's okay tho, 3-4 months left and I just need to really lock in. Our school got uplearn for us and given that I've watched the ad about 23948 times I know how good it is and they weren't lying lol. I'm loving uplearn and hopefully i can finish the entire course before exam season

Make sure to follow up with past exam questions. :smile:

Check the uni you want to go to, often times they don’t consider BOTH maths and fm grades but one, so you NEED chem and cs, sry to burst your bubble
This is a really old post idk why I’m here
Original post by AntonSlayer

Check the uni you want to go to, often times they don’t consider BOTH maths and fm grades but one, so you NEED chem and cs, sry to burst your bubble

I dropped cs end of year 12. Now I’ve got 4 offers and just waiting on ucl who on their website said I need a*a*/a* a in maths and fm and an A in something else. Am I still good?
Original post by AntonSlayer

That's very unusual nowadays, maths, FM + 1 other is very typical for a maths degree :smile:
I dropped cs end of year 12. Now I’ve got 4 offers and just waiting on ucl who on their website said I need a*a*/a* a in maths and fm and an A in something else. Am I still good?

Does anyone know the process of moving to a sixth at the start of year 13.Do you only need gcse results

Quick Reply

Latest