The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Should I apply for econs with a Risk Assessment-themed PS?

Adding context to the title, I plan to study econs and my dream school is LSE. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get a predicted A* for my Maths and I dropped Further Maths, so it’s almost impossible for LSE econs atp. However, I’m also interested in LSE’s acturial science(my backup course if it wasnt econs), which, in the website, doesnt require A* Math and FM. But, I do still prefer doing economics hence my other 4 options are probably Econs. I really wanna go to LSE, it’s my dream school since forever, so I decided to write my PS in a way that can be used for econs and act sci. Yes, I am aware that it is wiser to stick to one subject, but I also dont want to regret not trying for LSE. And instead of throwing it on econs(most defo will get rejected), I want to try it on a course that I actually have a chance to get.

Do let me know your thoughts and if I’m being foolish😭😭🙏

Predicted:A*AA
Current options: lse act science, kcl + manch + qmul + bristol econs
What are your A-Level subjects now? 😧
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by thegeek888
What are your A-Level subjects now? 😧

Econs, Maths, Physics. Predicted A*AA respectively
Original post by farisimrn_
Econs, Maths, Physics. Predicted A*AA respectively

You have a better chance for Actuarial Science rather than Economics, which is a lottery. ☹️
Reply 4
You have a better chance for Actuarial Science rather than Economics, which is a lottery. ☹️

for LSE? yea definitely 😭😭 which is why i wanna try acturial there but applying for econs everywhere else. Acturial is my second choice anyways do i’d be happy to study that
for LSE? yea definitely 😭😭 which is why i wanna try acturial there but applying for econs everywhere else. Acturial is my second choice anyways do i’d be happy to study that

It might lead to your other 4 choices thinking you're not as committed to Economics?! 😧

But you have a good chance for LSE Actuarial Science only if your Personal Statement is awesome!!! 😉
Reply 6
It might lead to your other 4 choices thinking you're not as committed to Economics?! 😧

But you have a good chance for LSE Actuarial Science only if your Personal Statement is awesome!!! 😉

yeaa thats what i’m worried about, that its not focused enough on econs😭😭

i need to write a really good PS, what n where are u studying btw
yeaa thats what i’m worried about, that its not focused enough on econs😭😭

i need to write a really good PS, what n where are u studying btw

1.**** City, University of London Business School
One of the best universities in London and Europe.* It is great for employment prospects upon graduation.*
It can provide exemptions from subjects CM1, CM2, CS1, CS2, CB1 and CB2 of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries’ examinations.
https://www.bayes.city.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/732197/USACTC-BSc-Actuarial-Science-2.pdf
2.**** London School of Economics and Political Science
It is accredited by the Institute of Actuaries*and courses taken as part of the degree can lead to exemptions. It is also accredited by The Royal Statistical Society, providing graduates with the status of Graduate Statistician, a grade of professional membership of the society.
461/82/6:1, so with 461 applications, 82 offers were made, and it is just 6 applicants per place, which is very low, considering other courses attract between 16 to 30 applicants per place.
3.**** Queen Mary University of London
There is a choice to do a Foundation Year with BBC grades with a B grade in A-Level Maths.* So, if you miss your AAA offer for Actuarial Science, you can be accepted for the Foundation course.
You’ll be exempt from up to six of the seven Core Principles exams, so you’ll be on your way to becoming a qualified actuary with the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries.*
4.**** University of Kent
Only need AAB and the course also offers exemptions from 6 papers, as well as being Fully accredited by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA).
5.**** University of Manchester
Excellent industry links and one of the largest student populations in all the UK. It will require an A* in Maths but they may accept A in Maths.

If it was me, I would focus on a Bachelor's degree in Actuarial Science. Also, LSE only has 6 applicants per place, which is very low compared to 16 applicants per place for Economics.

I am doing Maths, Further Maths, German, French and Spanish A-Levels. 🙂 Hoping to apply for Law degree at Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL and SOAS eventually as a Mature student. 😉 lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending