The Student Room Group

General advice on applying for PPE at Oxford

I'm in y12 studying Maths, History and Religious Education and I want to study either PPE at (preferably Oxford) university, or Politics and Economics.

I know that A-level results are the most important thing that they look at grades-wise and I'm aiming for A*AA (A in Maths - at GCSE I got 10A*s, 1 distinction in add. Maths, 1A in Welsh Bacc and 1B in Textiles that I did as additional) but also that you need to do "super curriculars" outside of school related to your course, which I do - as well as lots of extra-curriculars.

However, I do not know specifically any ideas of what I should be doing to stand out and have found it very hard to find groups for people my age that are politics-related. If anyone has any general tips on what they found useful (e.g. organisations) or any advice that would be greatly appreciated! I'm aware that this time next year I will be completing my personal statement and hopefully entrance exam and studying PPE has always been my dream course.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by fqriewiings
I'm in y12 studying Maths, History and Religious Education and I want to study either PPE at (preferably Oxford) university, or Politics and Economics.

I know that A-level results are the most important thing that they look at grades-wise and I'm aiming for A*AA (A in Maths - at GCSE I got 10A*s, 1 distinction in add. Maths, 1A in Welsh Bacc and 1B in Textiles that I did as additional) but also that you need to do "super curriculars" outside of school related to your course, which I do - as well as lots of extra-curriculars.

However, I do not know specifically any ideas of what I should be doing to stand out and have found it very hard to find groups for people my age that are politics-related. If anyone has any general tips on what they found useful (e.g. organisations) or any advice that would be greatly appreciated! I'm aware that this time next year I will be completing my personal statement and hopefully entrance exam and studying PPE has always been my dream course.

Are you in the Seren program? There are usually supra curricular events etc on there.
Reply 2
Original post by CAG575
Are you in the Seren program? There are usually supra curricular events etc on there.

Yeah I am - I’ve signed up for a lot of their events but I am cautious about getting a balance between attending events and the amount of school I might miss.
Reply 3
Yes, that’s true. PPE is very competitive and you need to balance supra curriculars with achieving the best grades possible. Your GCSEs are excellent so that will definitely go in your favour. Many other candidates will also have those grades and be predicted A*A*A* so if you can try and increase your predicted grades that would be helpful. You don’t have to miss school for supra curricular stuff. There are lots of books and podcasts that you can read/ watch/ listen to. Try reading magazines such the New Statesman , the Economist etc. You can immerse yourself in current affairs, there’s loads of stuff online. Philosophy books, a few to start with are Think by Simon Blackburn and The Pig that wants to be eaten by Julian Baggini. Is there a debating society at your school? If there is maybe join it? If not, maybe set one up?
Reply 4
Also, make sure that you apply for the Jesus College Seren summer school
Reply 5
Original post by CAG575
Yes, that’s true. PPE is very competitive and you need to balance supra curriculars with achieving the best grades possible. Your GCSEs are excellent so that will definitely go in your favour. Many other candidates will also have those grades and be predicted A*A*A* so if you can try and increase your predicted grades that would be helpful. You don’t have to miss school for supra curricular stuff. There are lots of books and podcasts that you can read/ watch/ listen to. Try reading magazines such the New Statesman , the Economist etc. You can immerse yourself in current affairs, there’s loads of stuff online. Philosophy books, a few to start with are Think by Simon Blackburn and The Pig that wants to be eaten by Julian Baggini. Is there a debating society at your school? If there is maybe join it? If not, maybe set one up?

Thanks so much - my school doesn’t have a debating club (as far as I’m aware there seems to be no Sixth Form student council, aside from Y13 prefects) so that’s a great suggestion. Those aren’t my predicted grades, I’ve not been given any (although I know last year’s “global grade” was A*) but just what I’m aiming for. I’m currently reading Think & also Mill’s Utilitarianism & I always listen to the headlines/radio 4 in the morning - I’ve also bought a few other books on their reading list.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by fqriewiings
Thanks so much - my school doesn’t have a debating club (as far as I’m aware there seems to be no Sixth Form student council, aside from Y13 prefects) so that’s a great suggestion. Those aren’t my predicted grades, I’ve not been given any (although I know last year’s “global grade” was A*) but just what I’m aiming for. I’m currently reading Think & also Mill’s Utilitarianism & I always listen to the headlines/radio 4 in the morning - I’ve also bought a few other books on their reading list.

Sounds like you are doing exactly the right things. Good luck 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending