The Student Room Group

PPE

I plan on changing my course, what alevels should I do for ppe, the school won't accept something too math based and have 4 options, I'm considering eng lit sociology politics and religious studies what do you think
Original post by internal-jasmine
I plan on changing my course, what alevels should I do for ppe, the school won't accept something too math based and have 4 options, I'm considering eng lit sociology politics and religious studies what do you think

But good universities generally want A-level maths for PPE, don't they?
Original post by ageshallnot
But good universities generally want A-level maths for PPE, don't they?

Yes, but it's not a requirement, it isn't uncommon for someone to get in without maths, Oxford offers maths classes if you haven't done the alevel
Yes, but it's not a requirement, it isn't uncommon for someone to get in without maths, Oxford offers maths classes if you haven't done the alevel

But it is at other good universities such as UCL, LSE and Edinburgh. There might be others.

It's up to you, of course.
But it is at other good universities such as UCL, LSE and Edinburgh. There might be others.

It's up to you, of course.

I'm going to a thus college that requires 6 and up for math( i got 5)which is full, thats what i mean by cant
(edited 7 months ago)

Most years more than 90% of successful applicants to PPE at Oxford have A-level Maths or equivalent. Assume if you're not taking it and your school offers it, you are going to be a much weaker applicant. Most other universities do require A-level Maths for PPE.

I would not suggest applying for PPE if you are unable or unwilling to do A-level Maths - or indeed any course including economics.
I'm going to a thus college that requires 6 and up for math( i got 5)which is full, thats what i mean by cant

"Thus" college?

If you got a 5 in GCSE maths you will be heavily restricted. For example, York, King's and Leeds all require a 7. This isn't a random demand, it's because the economics component requires a certain level of mathematical ability, as do any logic modules in philosophy.
"Thus" college?

If you got a 5 in GCSE maths you will be heavily restricted. For example, York, King's and Leeds all require a 7. This isn't a random demand, it's because the economics component requires a certain level of mathematical ability, as do any logic modules in philosophy.

Yeah, what about just a Politics course
Yeah, what about just a Politics course

The requirements will have far less emphasis on maths. Check out some requirements. Have you considered resitting maths?
The requirements will have far less emphasis on maths. Check out some requirements. Have you considered resitting maths?

Yes I have but when I asked I was told to not because I'll have to come to college again next year and that it'll take a whole year to do it so there's not much point. I'm currently at college right now so it would be a bit of a hassle but I'll think about it thanks
Yes I have but when I asked I was told to not because I'll have to come to college again next year and that it'll take a whole year to do it so there's not much point. I'm currently at college right now so it would be a bit of a hassle but I'll think about it thanks

Many colleges allow resitting of fundamental GCSEs alongside A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest