The Student Room Group

Causality and regression

I am currently answering a question on whether the coefficient of the slope can be interpreted as the causal effect between average number of lectures missed in a week and grade. the regression results show a significant correlation between the two variables, how would I answer this?
Reply 1
Original post by kenrepjm
I am currently answering a question on whether the coefficient of the slope can be interpreted as the causal effect between average number of lectures missed in a week and grade. the regression results show a significant correlation between the two variables, how would I answer this?

A famous example is that ice cream sales and violent crime/homicide in the usa are correlated. Though I suspect its not causal (both linked to hot weather). Similarly, cigarette companies tried to argue that the relationship between smoking and cancer was correlation not causal, and there was an unknown genetic effect that both caused people to smoke and get cancer.

So is there a third effect that might be argued is a causal effect for both, or do you think its a causal relationship
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest