The Student Room Group

self teaching a-levels

How many hours should I put in a day if I want to get an A (or above) in two a level subjects and a B(or above) in the other subject- I won't be going to school for it - I will be self teaching due to health issues?
Original post by tinkerbell223
How many hours should I put in a day if I want to get an A (or above) in two a level subjects and a B(or above) in the other subject- I won't be going to school for it - I will be self teaching due to health issues?

An A level is designed to require 360 "guided learning hours". So for three A levels, that's 1080 hours of learning. A school will divide that amongst five 12-week terms, 5 days per week. You might opt to arrange things differently.

In a school environment, students who get an E and students who get an A* have the same amount of in-school lesson time.

A student who is struggling might put in many additional hours compared to a student who is doing well, in order to improve their grade. Alternatively, a student who is doing well might be doing well precisely because they're putting in extra hours in the evening. As a result, there is unlikely to be a causal relationship between hours worked and grade achieved.

Quick Reply

Latest