The Student Room Group

Official Politics and/or International Relations Applicants Thread 2024

Are you applying to study politics and/or international relations at university this year?
Well this is the place for you!

Tell us about ...

Specific course:
Universities you're applying to:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Any questions:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by normaw
Are you applying to study politics and/or international relations at university this year?

Tell us about ...

Specific course:
GCSE grades:
Any questions:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You may also want to have a look at [url=
IVE applied for politics and international relation/ politics with economics at reading , Loughborough, city of london, exeter and aston.
initially i wanted to study at warick or university of birmingham however the entery requirement were too high as my school is using my year 12 mocks as my predicted grades.
my predicted grades are BBC, in the order of subjects politics ,psychology and economics .
in my gcse i received a 5 in english lang and 6 in maths.
I am not sure how popular this course is and im wondering if after a-levels results day would warwick or birmingham go through clearing as Im now in year 13 and i have acheived above my predicted grades in my recent mocks , therefore im sure i'll probably get higher in the real exam.
aswell as this i am applying through contextual offer for the unis ive stated above.
i could possibly wait until december to apply to university with changed predicted grades however i am abit weary as the unis i'll apply to if theydo change my grades are very popular.
my questions are should i wait or apply now and does warwick and birmingham usually go through clearing for this subject
Original post by Vtoutoukpe5
IVE applied for politics and international relation/ politics with economics at reading , Loughborough, city of london, exeter and aston.
initially i wanted to study at warick or university of birmingham however the entery requirement were too high as my school is using my year 12 mocks as my predicted grades.
my predicted grades are BBC, in the order of subjects politics ,psychology and economics .
in my gcse i received a 5 in english lang and 6 in maths.
I am not sure how popular this course is and im wondering if after a-levels results day would warwick or birmingham go through clearing as Im now in year 13 and i have acheived above my predicted grades in my recent mocks , therefore im sure i'll probably get higher in the real exam.
aswell as this i am applying through contextual offer for the unis ive stated above.
i could possibly wait until december to apply to university with changed predicted grades however i am abit weary as the unis i'll apply to if theydo change my grades are very popular.
my questions are should i wait or apply now and does warwick and birmingham usually go through clearing for this subject

As long as you apply before the equal consideration deadline of 31 January, then you have as much chance of getting an offer as submitting your application now. Unis don't run out of offers. If you are doing better than your predicted grades then asked for them to be revised. No one will be able to tell you if your course will be in clearing at Warwick or Birmingham. The usual advice for uni choices is:

- one with high entry requirements (a grade above what you're predicted)
- two or three at medium (matching your predictions)
- one or two ‘low’ (a little below your predictions)
Reply 4
Specific Course: Politics & IR / History and political economy
A levels: History, Economics, and French
Predicted grades: ABB
GCSE Grades: 9988865 (my 5 is in combined science)
Universities applying too: UCL, KCL, Uni of Notts (Offer), Durham, QMUL (Offer)
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 5
Specific course: Politics and International Relations, Politics and Sociology
Universities you're applying to: UCL, Bath (Offer), Birmingham (Offer), Reading (Offer)
A level grades: 3A*(Biology, Maths, Sociology)
GCSE grades: 9,9,9,9,9,9,8,8,7,D2
Any questions: Do most universities wait until January 31st for equal consideration at more competitive unis or can they release offers earlier for example UCL right now?
Reply 6
Original post by Loiskaag
Specific Course: Politics & IR / History and political economy
A levels: History, Economics, and French
Predicted grades: ABB
GCSE Grades: 9988865 (my 5 is in combined science)
Universities applying too: UCL, KCL, Uni of Notts (Offer), Durham, QMUL (Offer)

Congrats. How long did your Nottingham offer take to come through? Thanks .
Reply 7
Original post by normaw

Tell us about ...

Specific course:
GCSE grades:
Any questions:

Specific course: Politics and IR
Universities you're applying to: UCL, LSE, Manchester (offer), SOAS (offer), Sussex (offer)
A level / IB / Higher grades: AAA
Anyone else still waiting on just UCL and LSE?
(edited 4 months ago)
Hey other Politics students! Its cool we have a thread :biggrin:

specific course: Politics and International relations
Universities you're applying to: University of Nottingham (offer), University of Greenwich (offer), University of Sussex (offer), University of Brighton (offer), University of Westminster (offer).
A level / IB / Higher grades: AAB with A in EPQ
GCSE grades: 9877654M2
Any questions: Anyone here put notts as their first choice? also what is everyone planning on doing after undergrad!
Reply 9
Original post by rowan_willow
Hey other Politics students! Its cool we have a thread :biggrin:

specific course: Politics and International relations
Universities you're applying to: University of Nottingham (offer), University of Greenwich (offer), University of Sussex (offer), University of Brighton (offer), University of Westminster (offer).
A level / IB / Higher grades: AAB with A in EPQ
GCSE grades: 9877654M2
Any questions: Anyone here put notts as their first choice? also what is everyone planning on doing after undergrad!

Hiii, I haven't put Notts as my undergrad cus I live there and don't really want to stay lol. And after university I'm planning on going into civil service or diplomacy, but I might move to an international/multinational corporation
Original post by joe_y.i
Universities you're applying to: UCL, Bath (Offer), Birmingham (Offer), Reading (Offer)
Any questions: Do most universities wait until January 31st for equal consideration at more competitive unis or can they release offers earlier for example UCL right now?

congrats on your offers!! im applying to bath and birmingham for pir too how long did it take to get your offer? I've not heard back yet
Original post by lchesnay
Specific course: Politics and IR
Universities you're applying to: UCL, LSE, Manchester (offer), SOAS (offer), Sussex (offer)
A level / IB / Higher grades: AAA
Anyone else still waiting on just UCL and LSE?

congrats on your offers!! how long did manchester take to get back to you? and what weere your gcses if you dont mind me asking?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by daveisbae
Original post by joe_y.i

congrats on your offers!! im applying to bath and birmingham for pir too how long did it take to get your offer? I've not heard back yet

Birmingham was in the first week, Bath took longer around a month
ahhh ok thank you!! its been more then a week since i applied to birmingham hope thats not a bad sign for me. your grades are amazing though so maybe thats why it was early for you, whats your top choice?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by daveisbae

Birmingham was in the first week, Bath took longer around a month

ahhh ok thank you!! its been more then a week since i applied to birmingham hope thats not a bad sign for me. your grades are amazing though so maybe thats why it was early for you, whats your top choice?

UCL, which I'm still waiting on, but they normally give out offers later than others
Reply 15
Just got an offer from Exeter for IR
Specific course: Politics and International Relations, International Relations
Universities you're applying to: holding offers from Nottingham, NTU, Sussex, Leicester, Loughborough
A level grades: predicted BBB (Biology, Psychology, Media)
GCSE grades: 9887777765
Original post by Cambridge12!
Specific course: Politics and International Relations, International Relations
Universities you're applying to: holding offers from Nottingham, NTU, Sussex, Leicester, Loughborough
A level grades: predicted BBB (Biology, Psychology, Media)
GCSE grades: 9887777765

ive also applied to nottingham! which is your top choice? Goodluck on your a levels :biggrin:
Original post by rowan_willow
ive also applied to nottingham! which is your top choice? Goodluck on your a levels :biggrin:

Nottingham is my top choice. Good luck also 🙂
Original post by joe_y.i
Hiii, I haven't put Notts as my undergrad cus I live there and don't really want to stay lol. And after university I'm planning on going into civil service or diplomacy, but I might move to an international/multinational corporation

ooh im interested in going into the civil service/diplomacy too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending