The Student Room Group

Moments a level question

hi, so i was doing this question (attached), and how i went about it was equating the reaction force at x to 0, finding the force required to keep the system in equilibrium, and repeating with equating the reaction force at y to 0, and writing down the larger mass.

the answer says that the correct answer is determined by equating the reaction force at x specifically, however, and i was wondering whether anyone could explain as to why. thanks.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by aditi_idk
hi, so i was doing this question (attached), and how i went about it was equating the reaction force at x to 0, finding the force required to keep the system in equilibrium, and repeating with equating the reaction force at y to 0, and writing down the larger mass.

the answer says that the correct answer is determined by equating the reaction force at x specifically, however, and i was wondering whether anyone could explain as to why. thanks.

oops wait idk how to delete threads but i figured out what i did wrong, i accidentally calculated the force for one of them wrong :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest