The Student Room Group

A level philosophy

Choosing a level options soon, was wondering if a level philosophy is good/worth it?
Original post by meoow
Choosing a level options soon, was wondering if a level philosophy is good/worth it?

Entirely depends on what you're looking at in the future, would recommend keeping more open options if you're unsure. If you're confident in which career and/or subject you want to go for, and it involves philosophy, go for it.
Reply 2
Original post by meoow

I’d say it entirely depends on your tolerance for essays/reading long and complicated works. Personally, I take AQA Philosophy at the moment (Y12) and I thoroughly enjoy it. I think some steps might be to look through the specification for your course, think of what teachers you may have (and if you learn well from them) and decide if you want to spend a big chunk of your time trying to answer ‘The Big Questions’. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I’ll help if I can! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by JenScorpio
I’d say it entirely depends on your tolerance for essays/reading long and complicated works. Personally, I take AQA Philosophy at the moment (Y12) and I thoroughly enjoy it. I think some steps might be to look through the specification for your course, think of what teachers you may have (and if you learn well from them) and decide if you want to spend a big chunk of your time trying to answer ‘The Big Questions’. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I’ll help if I can! :smile:

Thank you for your reply, it was quite helpful. I was wondering what other a levels you take alongside philosophy? Just to see which ones are compatible (:
Reply 4
Original post by meoow
Thank you for your reply, it was quite helpful. I was wondering what other a levels you take alongside philosophy? Just to see which ones are compatible (:

I take English Language (not often offered around the country though, Literature is equally acceptable for most courses) and French. Philosophy combines well with many subjects though, so go for whatever you like best- in my class for example, people take Maths, Government and Politics, Sociology etc. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest