The Student Room Group

Move up sets in year 10

I'm just gonna break this down for you all, my maths teacher is currently going for an operation, and I'm set 3 maths in year 10. I've wanted to move up since year 8, to set 2 but i just cant revise, i just never get around to it and i always get low marks in tests. my maths teacher hasn't set any homework for the class, and just when i was about to revise i realised that. i dont know what to do, and is it still possible for me to even move to set 2 in year 10? the set 2 class is currently full and im just losing hope. :frown:
Original post by maths_hater
I'm just gonna break this down for you all, my maths teacher is currently going for an operation, and I'm set 3 maths in year 10. I've wanted to move up since year 8, to set 2 but i just cant revise, i just never get around to it and i always get low marks in tests. my maths teacher hasn't set any homework for the class, and just when i was about to revise i realised that. i dont know what to do, and is it still possible for me to even move to set 2 in year 10? the set 2 class is currently full and im just losing hope. :frown:

I wouldn't worry about what set you're in, just worry about working towards your GCSEs. Moving up a set gives off this idea that you're seen as smarter and that it's some kind of reward, but whether the demands of working harder are worth it is a contentious issue. What are your reasons for wanting to move up a set anyway? I think it's best to ask other teachers in the department or other teachers who could help in this regard. Teachers should give you advice on what you need to do to ensure you move up if there's an opening for it, but if you can't please don't worry about it, it's not a big deal at all I think it's the education system making you think it matters when it doesn't. But it's the environment you're in at school that makes you think this way, so I understand.

I was in a similar situation with English in year 10. I wanted to move up sets really badly. I'm now in year 12. I never moved up sets yet achieved grade 9. I was completely ahead of my class in year 11. What I learnt is that sets do not matter. Focus on your work and the teacher, not the other students and their ability. As long as your teacher is teaching properly that is fine. If there is no homework being set/ the teacher is not teaching properly, I would suggest that maybe you speak to your teacher about this and perhaps they can suggest things you can do, however as you said your teacher is going for an operation. My maths teacher was not in for months and this really damaged my grades. Hence I would suggest that you go to a higher authority, perhaps a head of maths and tell them your issues. If you really do want to move up to set 2, I assume they will only move up the best students in the class if there is any room so work on your grades, revise and maybe you can hopefully move up sets. But again, sets do not matter!!

Every school does things differently. But I think generally, sets don't often have major changes within a year. So your best bet to get into set two is do well in your year 10 mocks, which most likely be after the GCSE exams are completed, and get placed in set 2 in year 11. With revising, just start and do something. You'll eventually find something that helps you revise, Starting is the hardest part. Remember, your year 10 mocks are 7-8 months away, which is plenty of time.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the set you're in, but rather the grades you get. Being in set 3 doesn't constrain you to a grade (unless you do foundation tier).

Quick Reply

Latest