The Student Room Group

GCSE Year 10

Hello, I was wondering what happens in Year 10 because i am so curious about everything from sets, mock exams, coursework to work experience! Honestly, kinda scared but please if you have any notices, please let me know or DM me about it
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Harfan654
Hello, I was wondering what happens in Year 10 because i am so curious about everything from sets, mock exams, coursework to work experience! Honestly, kinda scared but please if you have any notices, please let me know or DM me about it
Thanks

Hey, don’t worry at all please! You will unnecessarily stress. Each school is different so I’ll tell you what happened at mine. Sets are exactly what it says, the highest attaining students will be in the highest sets, in my school this could change after each exam (I did 3 a year per subject).

I had mocks right at the end of year 10 and your teachers will definitely tell you more about this! (Realistically, they don’t matter UNLESS these are the grades you will be using as your predicted when applying to sixth forms. In this case, treat them as really important. Ask someone at your school if these year 10 mocks are going to be the latest set of exams you do BEFORE January time because this is around the deadline for sixth form applications. If you won’t do another set of exams/mocks, treat the year 10 ones as really important).

Coursework wasn’t bad at all: it gets interesting but you will have a lot of time to recap and revisit for most subjects (English literature is always a difficult subject because of the amount of content so focus on this one particularly!)

Work experience usually occurs towards the end of the year. I think I did mine at the end of June. From what I remember, my school gave me this website where I could search and apply for things I liked the look of. I ended up in a care home (i hadn’t chosen this!!). But it doesn’t matter at all because you get some experience. I was nervous (really nervous) but it helps if someone else from your school is also doing it there so try and get a work experience that you know someone else is doing too. It was fun really all in all but I’m terrified of communicating with people so that wasn’t really suited for me.

I was extremely worried and sort of scared about this whole thing but didn’t really get any support, just had to experience it to know what actually happens. So I completely understand how you may be feeling and so please do dm / reply to this if you have any questions at all!!

Make sure you remember not to worry, try your hardest and always always ask for feedback and improve. Always improve and make progress. That I think is probably what helped me most.
Reply 2
(Original post by Harfan654)Hello, I was wondering what happens in Year 10 because i am so curious about everything from sets, mock exams, coursework to work experience! Honestly, kinda scared but please if you have any notices, please let me know or DM me about it
Thanks

Original post by Harfan654
Thanks

Hii, I just finish yr10, your sets would probably be the same from yr9 unless u ask to move, your teacher this k you should move higher or lower. I did 2 set of mock, one in January then another in June, they not that hard as long as you've study effectively. If you doing coursework u may finish some,or start new one depending on ur subject. In my schl we were supposed to do work experience but I never because I could not bother look for place. Except for that make notes, Flashcards for any topic/subject from the beginning, study 20-30 mins per subject, they would really help coming to Mock time. Ask teacherz for help, look into some college /sixth form u want to go on if they offer why u want to Do. Honestly just enjoy make new friends. It one of ur best year

Quick Reply

Latest