The Student Room Group

very very unmotivated. i dont know what to do

I have high functioning autism, I'm really bad at maths, I never revise, and recently my mum asked my head of year at school what grade I was working at. He said I was working below age-related expectations. I'm really sad, discouraged, and unmotivated. I just can't learn maths. He said I'd probably only get a 4 in maths in GCSE. I really want to move up sets in my school. I'm just so discouraged. This is really saddening for me because I've been wanting to move up sets since Year 8. I'm currently in Year 10. Is it too late for me to move up sets and get a good GCSE grade? And how? I just don't know what to do. I can't just go on HegartyMaths, I don't understand it.
Reply 1
anyone?
Reply 2
boost
Reply 3
boost
Reply 4
boost
Hey, I might not have the best for advice for maths but is a tutor not an option for a while? Or even find someone through school, like if you asked your teachers if someone post-gcse would be willing to help out?
Reply 6
Original post by Zanquele
I have high functioning autism, I'm really bad at maths, I never revise, and recently my mum asked my head of year at school what grade I was working at. He said I was working below age-related expectations. I'm really sad, discouraged, and unmotivated. I just can't learn maths. He said I'd probably only get a 4 in maths in GCSE. I really want to move up sets in my school. I'm just so discouraged. This is really saddening for me because I've been wanting to move up sets since Year 8. I'm currently in Year 10. Is it too late for me to move up sets and get a good GCSE grade? And how? I just don't know what to do. I can't just go on HegartyMaths, I don't understand it.

If you're currently in year 10 you still have a lot of time to improve, seriously. Best way to improve would be to do as many practice questions as you can and try a variety of ways of absorbing maths; tutoring as others have said, maths games, flashcards, colourful posters, videos or even just reading concepts and math clubs. In all honesty, the set thing doesn't really mean anything, the only thing that does matter is your understanding of math which is expressed in your grade.

I have a story myself, in year 11 a few months before gcse's started I did my mock exams and for english language I received a 1, the highest grade in our class was a 4 and we were set 1. Frankly, this was because my teacher only taught us english lit and I found the result hilarious. But I worked on it really hard and spoke to a few different teachers in the department for advice on how to improve. When it came down to results day I was 3 marks off a grade 7 and a lot of my friends in the same class got 7's and 8's.

You have a chance and you can still do well - Good Luck :smile:
hopefully i can give you some advice that has helped me for maths when i was taking it!! i would suggest you compose a checklist of all the maths topics in your spec to ensure you’re all organised for your revision. for my gcses, i watched a video on maths genie on my designated topic of the day and ensured that i fully understood the topic. to test your understanding, you will do the questions by topic on the maths genie website! of course, if you need help, do ensure you ask a teacher, friends or post your questions on here - whatever works for you! exam questions are essentially what helps the most. i didn’t find myself writing notes or such because doing questions would help strengthen your understanding, but it is worth trying to see if it works for you.. most importantly, please don’t worry about whether you’ll be able to get better and if you’re running out of time, it will just scare you and will demotivate you! you can definitely do this, i hope you get the grades you want 🙂 (p.s sorry about the load of waffling..)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending