The Student Room Group

Looking to get back into it..

I am a graduate of software engineering in 2019 (Mature student) - Covid and family stuff happened and I was unable to find a role in the first year(half during Covid and before) and failed to keep maintaining my skills in the years leading to now.

I am seeking to return to development back-end, However I am unsure of the things I am required to relearn and I am aware of the turmoil in the junior/entry level developer job market currently. I have next to no experience (I had a casual front-end role/web admin during my time at university but that was nearly 6 years ago) I was currently working during all these years, so I have the soft skills to work with and manage others.

My idea plan would be to while continuing my part time job, take part in a part time or online MSC unsure of what yet, Rebuild my portfolio and try to network out via meetups and developers in my local city.

I would appreciate any advice I could get.
Reply 1
Original post by HatHamWitch
I am a graduate of software engineering in 2019 (Mature student) - Covid and family stuff happened and I was unable to find a role in the first year(half during Covid and before) and failed to keep maintaining my skills in the years leading to now.

I am seeking to return to development back-end, However I am unsure of the things I am required to relearn and I am aware of the turmoil in the junior/entry level developer job market currently. I have next to no experience (I had a casual front-end role/web admin during my time at university but that was nearly 6 years ago) I was currently working during all these years, so I have the soft skills to work with and manage others.

My idea plan would be to while continuing my part time job, take part in a part time or online MSC unsure of what yet, Rebuild my portfolio and try to network out via meetups and developers in my local city.

I would appreciate any advice I could get.

Have you tried applying for internships? Just thinking that it could be the best way to get a foot in the door into corporate and get your skills up to standard at the same time.

Check here - https://www.gradcracker.com/search/computing-technology/work-placements-internships

Work placements/internships are tailored for developing talent, so it feels to me that it could the answer you're looking for. Also, I'm pretty sure it's far easier to explain "the gap" in your resume when applying for internships.
FYI, right now is the best time to apply since Oct-Nov time is when companies advertise the internship opportunities the most. There will be more hiring waves later too, but as always early bird gets the worm.

All the best,
Al
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
if you are interested in software development specially back end you can do a lot of projects using github profile.make a lot of projects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending