The Student Room Group

Second housing disaster

I’m living with 3 other girls that I’m friends with next year. We have left looking for houses really late and most of the nice houses are gone. Today I had lectures all day for assignments that I had to go to. My other 3 friends were free so they went to go and look at house. They sent me videos and photos on the group chat we have. I was really happy with it it’s alright it’s not the nicest one but it serves it purpose it’s got 4 bedrooms with doubles in it and a nice kitchen. They asked me to send the deposit as the landlord said it will go soon so I sent the money as I was happy with the images and videos. Later on in the evening when we have all sent in our deposit money of £300 each. They turn around to me and tell me that they are not happy with the house anymore because it has a shared garden, it hasn’t got the nicest shower and there was mould on the curtain in one room which I was unaware of as they hadn’t said the issues when it was discussed over the phone and on the group chat whilst I was at uni. They then suggest that we should just lose the money for the deposit that we just put in to look at potential houses that could come after Christmas. That would mean that £300 pounds would be lost completely in order to put another deposit down. I called my mum and she’s not happy with it and neither I am I. My mum is a single mum so she doesn’t have all this money to throw around based on a bad decision they made. I’ve then said this to them, and they have proceeded not to understand be nasty saying I should get a job and use the money to pay for the new deposit if my mum won’t let me. But it just seems like a waste of money due to their bad decisions and their inability to communicate properly to me. I feel really bullied by it all I’ve said to them I don’t feel comfortable looking at other houses unless we get the deposit back and if can’t we should just make do with it and try to make it nicer for them. I don’t know if I’m right for feeling like this and saying this because they won’t respect my wishes or considerations and are just bullying me into losing the money we already put down and handing more over which I or my mum can’t afford. I don’t know what to do?
Anon,

All being well, you will get your deposit back if that is the final decision. I think the questions is: do you still want to live with these girls if they don’t respect your feelings and feel bullied by them? This could be signs of problems ahead.

If you do decide to live with them, then I think you need to all get together and decide on your non-negotiables (what’s essential for the new place?) and what are you flexible on (what would be nice for the new place?)

It might be an idea before you get your money back to go looking at places altogether, as your current place could be quickly snapped up if you let it go. If it’s true that the best places have gone, then your friends might realise that the current place is a lot better than what else is on offer.*As the saying goes, A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

You may find also find that other places have higher deposits or that the rent is higher but that the house is not so good, in other words you are paying more for less, so again think carefully before you get your deposit back.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending