The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Computer Science Applicants 2020

Anyone got an offer for Computer Science at Warwick recently?
I applied in mid November.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jezi
I applied at the end of November and still haven't heard back yet. Do you know how many applicants there were?

I’m not sure. I hope we hear soon 🤞🏻
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Applied in december and still haven't heard. It's taking so long.
Same I applied in mid November and haven't heard back
Hey everyone, current 2nd year CS student here.

At a guess and it's only a guess, the admissions team are probably pretty inundated with applications at the moment, CS has really exploded in popularity over the last few years so there's a lot of applications to get through! I'm sure you'll hear back soon, sorry I can't really say much more than that.

On another note, if there's anything you'd like to know about Warwick/CS, let me know :smile:
Original post by jezi
Hello, do you know how many applications Warwick Computer Science usually receives?

Not too sure, My years intake was 260 if that helps
Original post by JaguarLover101
Hey everyone, current 2nd year CS student here.

At a guess and it's only a guess, the admissions team are probably pretty inundated with applications at the moment, CS has really exploded in popularity over the last few years so there's a lot of applications to get through! I'm sure you'll hear back soon, sorry I can't really say much more than that.

On another note, if there's anything you'd like to know about Warwick/CS, let me know :smile:

Hi, how is the teaching, lectures, how many contact hours, is there enough suport for students, how much independent work?
How is employability after graduation?
Thank you!
Original post by the_queen
Hi, how is the teaching, lectures, how many contact hours, is there enough suport for students, how much independent work?
How is employability after graduation?
Thank you!

Hey, teaching on the whole is very good, some lecturers are better than others obviously but the department as a whole is quite responsive feedback so as long as you say something is wrong they'll usually do something. For CS modules you'll do 4 modules per term, on average modules have 3-4 contact hours per week, usually three lectures and a seminar/lab so around 12-16 contact hours per week. There's quite a lot of support, both from lecturers independently with office hours etc and from the department with wellbeing etc (last term they made us all chilli for lunch and gave us the ingredients to make it ourselves to encourage better eating, it was brilliant). There is a lot of independent work, each module on average has at least one "big" coursework/project or a few little projects which will be assessed, the course is demanding and needs a lot of work to understand everything, but any CS degree at a top Uni will be. In terms of employability, get back to me in a year and a half! Seriously though, it seems pretty good, I had a summer internship last summer and I have another one this summer, the department will help with internships giving talks and getting employers in (they usually bring pizza as well) so it's all pretty good.

Hope this helps :h:
Hey, teaching on the whole is very good, some lecturers are better than others obviously but the department as a whole is quite responsive feedback so as long as you say something is wrong they'll usually do something. For CS modules you'll do 4 modules per term, on average modules have 3-4 contact hours per week, usually three lectures and a seminar/lab so around 12-16 contact hours per week. There's quite a lot of support, both from lecturers independently with office hours etc and from the department with wellbeing etc (last term they made us all chilli for lunch and gave us the ingredients to make it ourselves to encourage better eating, it was brilliant). There is a lot of independent work, each module on average has at least one "big" coursework/project or a few little projects which will be assessed, the course is demanding and needs a lot of work to understand everything, but any CS degree at a top Uni will be. In terms of employability, get back to me in a year and a half! Seriously though, it seems pretty good, I had a summer internship last summer and I have another one this summer, the department will help with internships giving talks and getting employers in (they usually bring pizza as well) so it's all pretty good.

Thank you for your detailed reply. Congratulatiins for your achievements and good luck further!

Thanks so much!
Is there a lot of maths in the course?
And what are the main topics that Warwick focus on in Computer Science? (E.g. is it focused on AI) :smile:
Original post by mathsalevels
Thanks so much!
Is there a lot of maths in the course?
And what are the main topics that Warwick focus on in Computer Science? (E.g. is it focused on AI) :smile:

Hey, the course is pretty maths heavy, there's two dedicated maths modules in first year: CS130 and CS131 and a lot of second year modules build on things from these modules, mainly CS260 Algorithms and CS259 Formal Languages.
I wouldn't say there's any "main" topics as it's fairly varied, you also have a choice of options (AI is an option in 2nd Year), to get a better idea have a look at the course structures here: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/dcs/teaching/courses/common1-1920 which gives a better idea of the modules you can take, as a rough guide in first year you take all of the core modules and two optionals.
Hey, the course is pretty maths heavy, there's two dedicated maths modules in first year: CS130 and CS131 and a lot of second year modules build on things from these modules, mainly CS260 Algorithms and CS259 Formal Languages.
I wouldn't say there's any "main" topics as it's fairly varied, you also have a choice of options (AI is an option in 2nd Year), to get a better idea have a look at the course structures here: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/dcs/teaching/courses/common1-1920 which gives a better idea of the modules you can take, as a rough guide in first year you take all of the core modules and two optionals.

Ok, thanks so much!
How much do you enjoy it, what parts do you find challenging, and why did you choose Warwick? :smile:
Ok, thanks so much!
How much do you enjoy it, what parts do you find challenging, and why did you choose Warwick? :smile:

I enjoy it a lot, there's a lot to get your teeth into and it's genuinely interesting. I find the workload a bit challenging, there's quite a lot to do and also some of the maths modules require a lot of attention. I choose Warwick since I wanted a campus university as I'm not too big into big city Unis, also looking at the course the modules looked really interesting from reading through the descriptions, which hasn't disappointed so far.
I enjoy it a lot, there's a lot to get your teeth into and it's genuinely interesting. I find the workload a bit challenging, there's quite a lot to do and also some of the maths modules require a lot of attention. I choose Warwick since I wanted a campus university as I'm not too big into big city Unis, also looking at the course the modules looked really interesting from reading through the descriptions, which hasn't disappointed so far.

Okay thanks! Warwick has a silver TEF rating, not gold, do you think that’s a big deal or not? :smile:
Okay thanks! Warwick has a silver TEF rating, not gold, do you think that’s a big deal or not? :smile:

Umm... if I'm honest I don't really know much about TEF so can't really comment, other than it's blanketly applied to the uni as a whole, wheras each course will have vastly different teaching so how there can be a one size fits all rating is a bit confusing to me, something like student satisfaction for the course you're looking at might be more helpful.
I applied back in October and have not heard back yet. Let me know if you guys hear anything soon :smile:
I got rejected, with a prediction of A*A*AA! Wtf is going on. I'm thinking it's because of my deferral request.
Reply 17
got rejected with grades of AAA.
Original post by LvlAndFarm
I got rejected, with a prediction of A*A*AA! Wtf is going on. I'm thinking it's because of my deferral request.

I just got rejected too :frown:
Original post by dasda
got rejected with grades of AAA.

Original post by Ariana260693
I just got rejected too :frown:

When did you both find out?

Quick Reply

Latest