The Student Room Group

Dental Nursing Apprenticeship

Hello guys!

I’m currently in Year 13 studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I would like to study dentistry at university, however, I have decided to take a gap year just to gain some experience in a dental setting, and also to save some money that I could put towards uni fees etc. Within the year, I am planning to take a dental nursing apprenticeship. In my locality and surrounding areas, the apprenticeships normally are between 18 to 24 months.

I would like to start the apprenticeship in July (after my A Level exams) and then apply for Dentistry in September/October. And if, hopefully things go well, I get offers to start uni in the following September/October, it would mean I would have around 6-7 months of my apprenticeship left. I have a few questions about this.

- Would I be able to fast track my apprenticeship so that I could finish it before uni starts?
- If not, could I perhaps start uni and then do the rest of my apprenticeship part-time at the same time? Are we allowed to do an apprenticeship and go to university at the same time?
- Would I still be able to apply for student loans after completing the apprenticeship?

I would appreciate any help, thank you!
Reply 1
You won't be able to fast track an apprenticeship or carry on with it part time. Apprenticeships are designed to cover a certain period of time with a mixture of on the job training and studying.
I doubt any employer will select you for an apprenticeship if they are aware that you have no intention of completing it.
However if you have done an apprenticeship there is nothing stopping you from applying for a student loan if you have not had one before.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending