The Student Room Group

oxford interview, extenuating circumstances

My dad is terminally ill and his health has sadly been declining over the recent months. I've got an oxford interview in less than a week and haven't had the chance to prepare for it. Would an email to the college from Palliative care make it possible for the interview to be postponed? Could this somehow damage my chances?
I'm really sorry to hear about your dad, that's absolutely heartbreaking. I'm not sure that the interview could be done at a different time, due to decisions being imparted to all applicants in early Jan 2024 - but your school could write to the 'host' college that has invited you to interview, to explain the circumstances. It may be that deferring your application to next year might be the best/only option available - but I'm not an Oxford admissions tutor, so can't quite guess what their answer may be.

Your focus needs to be family atm, of course. Oxford will still be there to apply to in a year's time. Do whatever is best for you and your family at this time :hugs:
Original post by Anonymous #1
My dad is terminally ill and his health has sadly been declining over the recent months. I've got an oxford interview in less than a week and haven't had the chance to prepare for it. Would an email to the college from Palliative care make it possible for the interview to be postponed? Could this somehow damage my chances?

Let ur school know so they can email oxford regarding your circumstances. Your interview is your chance to show them the best of you, it wont damage your chances at all, and will help them contextualize it if things go badly.
I don't think they can postpone them but if you're still interested in sitting it this is the next best course of action.
Reply 3
Yes, this would be absolutely fine to do. Colleges are often extremely sensitive in these kinds of circumstances. Personally, my father passed away a few days before my interview. They offered me a number of choices: to postpone the interview to a time I would be comfortable, to postpone my interviews to the next academic year and join the next year's cohort, or to consider my application without interviewing me and just go off my personal statement, grades and written work. Obvs I can't promise that these will be the exact options they offer you as it may depend on the college/people/department, but I can guarantee they will try their best to work around you and help you through the process. I'm so sorry you're going through this, though at the same time, I remember vividly how little the word "sorry" helps. Let me know if I can help in any way at all or if you want to reach out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending