The Student Room Group

Are my gcse grades strong enough to apply for oxford

i am currently in year 12 hoping to apply for physcis at oxford but i am worried my gcse grades aren't strong enough to get me into oxford.
i got 98877777653 (9 in further maths and 8 in maths), any advise would be grateful.
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications

"GCSEs
GCSEs will be taken in to account when we consider your application but they are just one aspect that we look at. GCSE results will be considered alongside your personal statement, academic reference, predicted grades and performance in any written work or written test required for your course.
If you are shortlisted, your performance in interviews will also be taken into account. Higher grades at GCSE can help to make your application more competitive, and successful applicants typically have a high proportion of 7,8 and 9 grades. However, we do look at GCSE grades in context.
If you feel that you did less well in your GCSEs than you might otherwise have done because of extenuating circumstances, you may still be able to make a competitive application. Examples would include disruption caused by change of school or system, severe discontinuity of teachers, bereavement, and debilitating illness.
We take care to treat each application individually and would always take such extenuating circumstances into account, if they are brought to our attention. You may like to mention any such circumstances in your personal statement, and your referee should make sure to mention them clearly in their reference."
Original post by Knaik
i am currently in year 12 hoping to apply for physcis at oxford but i am worried my gcse grades aren't strong enough to get me into oxford.
i got 98877777653 (9 in further maths and 8 in maths), any advise would be grateful.

Depends what school you went to tbh.

Regardless, I would apply to natsci at Cambridge instead as Cambridge hardly look at GCSE.
Reply 3
Original post by Knaik

Your GCSEs are an important part of your application, but not the only part. They play a particularly important role in getting shortlisted, as per statistics from the admissions report for physics (https://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/system/files/file_attachments/AdmissionsReportDec2023.pdf - for 2023).
Personally, I think your GCSE grades should not stop you from applying. Focus on practising for the PAT as that is the other factor that plays a role in getting shortlisted, and is incredibly important for getting an offer. Moreover, if you have any extenuating circumstances to list for your GCSEs, make sure to include them in your UCAS application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending