The Student Room Group

Help with a-level plsss ;/

Would I be able to take computer science, physics and economics with a grade 4 or 5 in maths? I’m stuck doing the foundation paper ;-; and I really want to do these optionsss
it really just depends on the requirements for those alevels in your school/college
Original post by ilovejeongin143
it really just depends on the requirements for those alevels in your school/college

Ik, but all of them say at least a 6, and I don’t know what to do ;-;
Original post by Funkywatermelon
Ik, but all of them say at least a 6, and I don’t know what to do ;-;

are you currently getting 5's in maths mocks/tests constantly?
Original post by ilovejeongin143
are you currently getting 5's in maths mocks/tests constantly?

I do foundation😩so I get 3-4
You still have a few months. At the moment, I think it's a no... but maybe if you talked to your guidance counsellor or head of maths they could help you. If you put serious dedication and effort in, you might be able to switch to higher boost your grade up to a 6. But if they don't let you switch then I think it's really unlikely for physics as it's very maths-based. I do economics and it's barely got maths in, just need to understand and utilise graphs properly, and computer science.. Do you want to do CS at university? Many top universities don't mind if you don't do CS and instead do maths or physics. However that might be limiting for you. RG unis want further maths as well. Anyways, I think it would be worth it to talk to the head of maths and see if you might be able to switch into higher and if you do, use YouTube (GCSE maths tutor, mathsgenie, PAST PAPERS!, etc.). It's gonna take lots of effort, but it's achievable. I went from 3s to a 7 from March to my exams, it took loads of time but it was so worth it. But if you're not able to switch into higher, I'd consider other options imo. Or sweat it out in foundation and get consistent 5s. Then perhaps you might be able to reason with the sixth/college you want to go to to let you pursue economics, physics and CS. But really, if you're not confident in maths, maybe physics isn't the best choice, but I don't know you and I don't know how good you are at physics. So maybe it'll be fine. I think this is a rambling response but yeah . . .

Quick Reply

Latest