The Student Room Group

Going to university early

I often hear that going to university early, while it may be academically appropriate, isn't always the best experience in terms of a social aspect. However, would it solve the problem if I were to go to university early and at the normal time? If I would do an Engineering course at 16, and finish it as if I were to take a gap year in the standard education system. Does the issue of missing out on a proper university experience really matter too much?
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Chuchumuru
I often hear that going to university early, while it may be academically appropriate, isn't always the best experience in terms of a social aspect. However, would it solve the problem if I were to go to university early and at the normal time? If I were to do a 3 year course in Music at the age of 16. Then, I would do an Engineering course at 19, as if I were to take a gap year in the standard education system. Does that resolve the issue of missing out in a proper university experience?

How would you afford a second degree? No, don't do it ...
I often hear that going to university early, while it may be academically appropriate, isn't always the best experience in terms of a social aspect. However, would it solve the problem if I were to go to university early and at the normal time? If I were to do a 3 year course in Music at the age of 16. Then, I would do an Engineering course at 19, as if I were to take a gap year in the standard education system. Does that resolve the issue of missing out in a proper university experience?

The "proper" university experience isn't the best for a lot of people. Many have non-traditional or even "improper" uni experience and are still fine, it depends on who you are as a person.

Couldn't you do something like Sound Engineering degree, or simply an Engineering degree while you're active in music societies (so you have the music part while you have a fallback to rely on)? I think it's a waste of time to do 2 degrees.

If you wish to go to university at 16, you'd need to meet the entry requirements at that age. There are a few more restrictions you need to bear in mind (like mandatory guardians for under 18s at some universities). Might as well save the time by going early if you wanted to save time, rather than doing 2 degrees.

My experience in this, maybe going to university a year early if plausible: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7336850
Avoid the mistakes I made, @Chuchumuru if you wish to stand a better chance. How are you academically, socially?
(edited 11 months ago)

What is the point in doing that, and how are you going to get full A-levels in maths and physics before you are 16?
Original post by Smack
What is the point in doing that, and how are you going to get full A-levels in maths and physics before you are 16?

University starts in September, so you don't need to get full A-levels in maths and physics before 16. With some birthdays, if you skip enough years you'd be able to get A-levels at 16 and go to university at 16.

I presume maybe self-studying or some private tutoring as a school would be unlikely to support this. Or skipping enough years (happens to a few students). I'm finishing my qualifications a year early anyway... and I do know some people who are so smart they could feasibly do this well and their grades would be very good.

Maybe for some gifted or very gifted students who are so ahead of their peers, even enrichment doesn't satisfy their intellectual curiosity. Terence Tao is one case of such a prodigious student.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Ok. Maybe the idea of two degrees was farfetched. Also, justlearning1469, I don't quite see the issue if I complete my A levels during Year 11.
Ok. Maybe the idea of two degrees was farfetched. Also, justlearning1469, I don't quite see the issue if I complete my A levels during Year 11.

That's because it is farfetched and unnecessary. If you have a strong interest in music, take the engineering degree while being active in music and maybe take some music modules for free electives.
There are some physics and music degrees like in Royal Holloway (https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/undergraduate/physics/physics-with-music/), or electronic engineering with music technology (OK, not exactly music, but close enough): https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/beng-ee-music-technology-systems/

In Yr11 if you're not taking any GCSEs early, you won't have any qualifications and I'm not sure if unis would trust your predicted grades with nothing. It's not just A-levels... you need to fill in the PS with supercurriculars, and unis don't want a purely academic focused person, so do something non-academic (maybe a bit of volunteering, or a hobby etc.)

Every attempt must be recorded on UCAS, therefore if you choose to finish your A-levels early, you better get A*/A grades at least, at least A*AA (at least A for stuff you won't be studying at uni, if you're studying the subject at uni then at least A, prefer A*). I'd prefer higher grades, of course, but you need to be able to get top grades in your A-levels (at least A*AA).

You can do Cambridge IAL, where you can take the AS and A2 in separate years (so you have actual qualifications before applying) or Edexcel IAL (if you're outside UK).
Reply 7
I am already doing 4 GCSEs early.
Reply 8

Unis don't like that - they want to see you can cope with he right amount of work. What year are you in now?
I get going out the box and doing different to other people, but why go against the entire system? Have you considered employability after? It might be all good having lecturers thinking youre so smart doing it so young, but would employers want to employ a 19 year old onto a full time engineering job? You wouldnt have had the same experience of building relationships or being around people like you - you might even mature less than people who do the normal route
Original post by Muttley79
Unis don't like that - they want to see you can cope with he right amount of work. What year are you in now?

My school does 2 gcses in y10, english lit and comp sci/astronomy/DT/pyschology (whatever someone picks) and it has never had a bad effect
gcses arent that difficult - the hard part is doing so many. if youre doing 4/10 the year before that means you've got 18 instead of 30 exams in year 11. pretty big difference...

i think you should just do the normal route. it will affect you more than you think - even if you believe you dont care about the uni experience. you wont get to grow up and mature with people like you and will have a hard time making many friends at uni
Reply 12
Original post by MolecularTwerp
My school does 2 gcses in y10, english lit and comp sci/astronomy/DT/pyschology (whatever someone picks) and it has never had a bad effect

How do you know for sure? How many do you take in Year 11?

It's not good practice - does everyone get 9s? If not then it WILL have an impact.
Reply 13

What do you mean? Surely they would prefer that. I am in Year 8.
Reply 14
I appreciate the comments, but if I feel like I am capable of learning more, and the current school system is holding me back, then I can get into life 2 years quicker and get a head start.
Reply 15
What do you mean? Surely they would prefer that. I am in Year 8.

No - they want to see you can cope with 11 GCSEs in Year 11 - are you confident in getting 9s? If not you are damaging your chances of a good uni as all grades have to be declared on UCAS.

Do you do UKMT challenges, read around the subject, etc? There's far more to school than exams.
yeah make sure you actually can get good grades as you must declare all grades on ucas. speak to parents and teachers as you just seem like a young person trying to rush through everything
I’m not sure whether all unis accept 16 year olds anyway, you’d need to check their admission policies.

I think you are missing a trick by considering uni as purely giving you a qualification. A lot of the benefit is social/soft skills which is the bit you will struggle at by attending early.

As per Mutley’s reply above, there’s loss of stuff you can be getting on with alongside your academics that will be more valuable than joining uni early.

The problem with this is unis want to see more GCSEs done in one go, preferably.

But if you want inspiration: My life and wellbeing blog while trying to go to uni at 16: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7340878&page=2
My grow your grades blog: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7336850 going to uni at 16, skipping Y13. You'd have an even bigger leap than me...

I guess if you want... post a GYG to keep yourself motivated. With your very demanding plans, you'd need it. Trust me, you need to keep yourself accountable and keep it up if you want to succeed at going to uni at 16.

It's going to be a tough ride... all I can say is good luck. PM me if you want to rant.

Original post by user8937264980
I get going out the box and doing different to other people, but why go against the entire system? Have you considered employability after? It might be all good having lecturers thinking youre so smart doing it so young, but would employers want to employ a 19 year old onto a full time engineering job? You wouldnt have had the same experience of building relationships or being around people like you - you might even mature less than people who do the normal route

Some people are extremely ahead of their year group to the point they could really get into a very strong uni at 16.

There are a few kids capable of getting into MIT, Harvard etc. at 16... or even younger. They really are outliers.

https://my.vanderbilt.edu/smpy/files/2013/02/Park-Lubinski-Benbow-2013.pdf has been supported by other studies, they'd probably mature more than the normal path.
gcses arent that difficult - the hard part is doing so many. if youre doing 4/10 the year before that means you've got 18 instead of 30 exams in year 11. pretty big difference...

i think you should just do the normal route. it will affect you more than you think - even if you believe you dont care about the uni experience. you wont get to grow up and mature with people like you and will have a hard time making many friends at uni

It is a big difference.

But I do think he'd get quite a bit more mature than if he stayed for normal route. He'd effectively be a uni student 2 years early... which means his life would be 2 years in advance. The uni environment would probably toughen @Chuchumuru up in maturity anyway.

Academically, https://my.vanderbilt.edu/smpy/files/2013/02/Park-Lubinski-Benbow-2013.pdf we can see it actually increases STEM productivity.
I appreciate the comments, but if I feel like I am capable of learning more, and the current school system is holding me back, then I can get into life 2 years quicker and get a head start.

I don't know you personally, but you need to study more than I did, more than a couple hours, and you need to use the time wisely. Which A-levels are you planning to do? I can recommend revision resources etc. as someone who went through a similar situation.

You better be likely to get strong grades.
yeah make sure you actually can get good grades as you must declare all grades on ucas. speak to parents and teachers as you just seem like a young person trying to rush through everything

Correct, although if he's very bright and puts the work in I do think he can make it. But he'd have to put a lot of work in...

More work than me, and perhaps more tutoring to squeeze it in.
Original post by Admit-One
I’m not sure whether all unis accept 16 year olds anyway, you’d need to check their admission policies.

I think you are missing a trick by considering uni as purely giving you a qualification. A lot of the benefit is social/soft skills which is the bit you will struggle at by attending early.

As per Mutley’s reply above, there’s loss of stuff you can be getting on with alongside your academics that will be more valuable than joining uni early.

I guess if @Chuchumuru is considering this, they'd not go to those unis anyway.

While I agree, at least from research in grade skipping for other countries, the accelerated students don't have social problems. https://web.archive.org/web/20070827052959/http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1653653-1,00.html
And the Acceleration Institute in America.

I guess he can read around the subject in summer, or hobbies in summer, if @Chuchumuru really wanted to. Although, the timetable would be quite intense.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 19
No - they want to see you can cope with 11 GCSEs in Year 11 - are you confident in getting 9s? If not you are damaging your chances of a good uni as all grades have to be declared on UCAS.

Do you do UKMT challenges, read around the subject, etc? There's far more to school than exams.

Yes, funnily enough I did the JMO today, which is part of UKMT.

Quick Reply

Latest