The Student Room Group

supercurriculars for maths at uni

Im in y12 looking to study maths at uni. Im doing maths, physics, further maths, economics and hoping to do an EPQ related to the applications of maths on economics. I haven’t done any UKMT because my school never told me about it so I basically have no supercurriculars to put on my personal statement. Also since I want to apply for oxbridge, I don’t think I can do some UKMT challenges in year 13 in time for the october 15 oxbridge deadline.

Do you think some work experience in banking would be fine if i could try relate it to maths? What other supercurriculars can I do which will make me stand out apart from further reading?
Original post by stilk
Im in y12 looking to study maths at uni. Im doing maths, physics, further maths, economics and hoping to do an EPQ related to the applications of maths on economics. I haven’t done any UKMT because my school never told me about it so I basically have no supercurriculars to put on my personal statement. Also since I want to apply for oxbridge, I don’t think I can do some UKMT challenges in year 13 in time for the october 15 oxbridge deadline.

Do you think some work experience in banking would be fine if i could try relate it to maths? What other supercurriculars can I do which will make me stand out apart from further reading?

You could still do the UKMT SMC this year if you ask your school now? I think it's later this autumn (if I remember correctly!).

Other supercurriculars that aren't reading - going to external lectures/talks/conferences (check Gresham College, Imperial College London, other unis (e.g. LSE).
Original post by stilk

Theres the oxford demystified maths
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6465960
and cambridge suggestions
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/super-curricular_suggestions_0.pdf
Reply 3
Original post by stilk

Hello stilk
So I guess you're at the end of Y12 now and will be applying to universities in September?
My son has just finished Y13 and is waiting to find out if he has achieved his grades for Cambridge. In his personal statement he tried to show how much he enjoys maths. He mentioned studying the STEP support programme out of school, books like the Olympiad Primer, YouTube channels 3Blue1Brown, Stand-up Maths, Numberphile and Veritasium - giving examples of particular topics he'd found interesting and that he'd explored.
Good luck with your application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending