The Student Room Group

trigs graph and solution

What is the strategy to solve trigs and find solutions within the range, I only can find solutions from the graph.
Original post by Great444
What is the strategy to solve trigs and find solutions within the range, I only can find solutions from the graph.

Should I presume this is A Level Maths? It's a little difficult to tell.

If you want to solve trigs, they normally present the question in the form of an equation for you to solve. Once you have got your answer down, I would normally sketch out a graph within the particular ranges to find the relevant answers.
Even if you are able to get the answer in your head, I would still sketch out the graphs to check, since it's difficult to visualise the graphs in your head (and hence liable to make mistakes) especially when you're under time (and other types of) pressure.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Should I presume this is A Level Maths? It's a little difficult to tell.

If you want to solve trigs, they normally present the question in the form of an equation for you to solve. Once you have got your answer down, I would normally sketch out a graph within the particular ranges to find the relevant answers.
Even if you are able to get the answer in your head, I would still sketch out the graphs to check, since it's difficult to visualise the graphs in your head (and hence liable to make mistakes) especially when you're under time (and other types of) pressure.

I tried with CAST circle and applying the rules ?
Reply 3

Its the "same" whether you use cast or use the appropriate sinusoidal curve. So for instance, cos() is symmetric about 0 and 180 which means there is a second solution reflected in the x-axis (positive x-axis corresponds to reflection about 0 and negative x-axis corresponds to a reflection about 180).

What problem are you having?

CAST is a good shortcut. I sometimes use it for trig questions, but even then I would still roughly sketch out graphs to check the answers.

Quick Reply

Latest