The Student Room Group

Oblique Collisions Question

I have attached the question. I have used simultaneous equations to work out equations for velocity after impact but I have no idea where to go from there or even what the diagram looks like when it mentions a deflection

Any help is greatly appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by qwertyosc123
I have attached the question. I have used simultaneous equations to work out equations for velocity after impact but I have no idea where to go from there or even what the diagram looks like when it mentions a deflection

Any help is greatly appreciated

The collision will cause A to be deflected by theta, so that would be the angle it makes with the direction of motion prior to the collision. If youve worked out the velocity post collision, then that should give you tan(theta) as you know tan(alpha)?
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
The collision will cause A to be deflected by theta, so that would be the angle it makes with the direction of motion prior to the collision. If youve worked out the velocity post collision, then that should give you tan(theta) as you know tan(alpha)?

I have the velocity post collision but no idea how to get tan(theta) in the form the question requires
Reply 3
Original post by qwertyosc123
I have the velocity post collision but no idea how to get tan(theta) in the form the question requires

You must have the "horizontal" and "vertical" components so their ratio would give tan(theta+alpha) or similar which you can use the angle addition formula to get tan(tehta) as you know tan(alpha). If not, it would help to see what youd actually done.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest