The Student Room Group

Calculator not showing exact answers

My Casio FX-991EX calculator won’t show me almost exact sure values for pretty simple calculations.

E.G. when I try and do calculations like sin(45) it will give me a decimal result of 0.7071 rather than the surf answer of √2/2. This same problem is occurring for other trig identities and calculations like 2^1/2.

Please any tips to fix this is greatly appreciated!
Original post by JonahBr
My Casio FX-991EX calculator won’t show me almost exact sure values for pretty simple calculations.

E.G. when I try and do calculations like sin(45) it will give me a decimal result of 0.7071 rather than the surf answer of √2/2. This same problem is occurring for other trig identities and calculations like 2^1/2.

Try going

> SETUP (via shift click)

> INPUT/OUTPUT

> MathI/MathO

and try sin(45) again.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Original post by JonahBr

Try going

> SETUP (via shift click)

> INPUT/OUTPUT

> MathI/MathO

and try sin(45) again.

I tried that but it still gives the same result. Thanks for trying though :smile:
The old-fashioned method, back when calculators don't show square roots, is to try squaring 0.7071.... It should give precisely 1/2, and thus you can deduce sin(45) = sqrt(1/2).

This should be your last alternative if you can't find a fix.

(Also, based on your other posts, I agree a calculator in 2023 should be able to show square roots in the answer. But of course always have a Plan B.)
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by tonyiptony
The old-fashioned method, back when calculators don't show square roots, is to try squaring 0.7071.... It should give precisely 1/2, and thus you can deduce sin(45) = sqrt(1/2).

This should be your last alternative if you can't find a fix.

(Also, based on your other posts, I agree a calculator in 2023 should be able to show square roots in the answer. But of course always have a Plan B.)

Thanks this is a good idea to check weather the answer is a decimal or in fact a square root, I’ll consider getting a newer model calculator so that this won’t happen again but for now this is a good plan so thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest