The Student Room Group

Design technology CAD analysis

I am currently doing the AQA DT GCSE course and struggling with coursework. We have been told to complete a CAD/CAM analysis sheet but I am unsure what to do, I have added pictures of the tests I ran with the laser cutter, my fusion 360 models, and the joints I will use and why to use them. I am not sure what I am really meant to do next. How do I analyse the CAD/CAM stuff? Isn't that part of normal model iteration? Do I explain the process of modeling the item?

Thank you for helping and if you have any tips for DT coursework please let me know.
Original post by GeekIndustries
I am currently doing the AQA DT GCSE course and struggling with coursework. We have been told to complete a CAD/CAM analysis sheet but I am unsure what to do, I have added pictures of the tests I ran with the laser cutter, my fusion 360 models, and the joints I will use and why to use them. I am not sure what I am really meant to do next. How do I analyse the CAD/CAM stuff? Isn't that part of normal model iteration? Do I explain the process of modeling the item?

Thank you for helping and if you have any tips for DT coursework please let me know.

I did AQA GCSE DT, so hopefully this helps...

Here's a few things that come to mind:

different scales of manufacture - how would the processes you have chosen to use (laser cutter) suit production on a more industrial scale - would it be suitable or not and why, and if not what alternative would you suggest (like injection moulding, but that depends on the part you're making)

any environmental/human side effects of the production method? Any negative side effects such as small particulate dust from the laser cutter and whether you could substitute the material or process to reduce this etc

cost analysis - could money be saved in production by doing it by hand or any other production technique, and would it be worth it taking into account the downsides versus laser cutting... or on the flip side could a more advanced technique be used commercially like a router..?

This was a few years ago though, so will have forgotten some stuff and maybe the way the coursework is done now has changed (as don't remember doing a CAD/CAM analysis)

Would recommend just checking these out first, as they could be wrong for what you need to do but hopefully these are a few good starting points to think about :smile:
Thank you so much this helps loads I'll give it a go. Thanks again
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest