The Student Room Group

Fashion, marketing ,MBA

I'm really interested in started a fashion business however I'm still learning to sew and I need to learn how to use technology within fashion like cad.

Would I be better studying a business related degree and then going to uni for fashion design when my skills are improved ?

Or

Would I be better off doing a business degree and then an MBA

Masters wise I would prefer not to post graduate diploma as it not funded so I would be looking for ma fashion masters which do not require a ba in fashion or will accept relevant experience.
Original post by Rose_99
I'm really interested in started a fashion business however I'm still learning to sew and I need to learn how to use technology within fashion like cad.

Would I be better studying a business related degree and then going to uni for fashion design when my skills are improved ?

Or

Masters wise I would prefer not to post graduate diploma as it not funded so I would be looking for ma fashion masters which do not require a ba in fashion or will accept relevant experience.

Personal recommendation: work in the fashion business and skip uni altogether.
If you want to go to uni, I think a degree in fashion design would carry you further than a business degree.

A business degree + MBA is a bit much in my opinion. You will likely be repeating a lot of the same material in both. If you have done business A Level, then you would be repeating even more material.
If you don't want to do A Level Business studies (or a similar Level 3 business qualification), then I recommend looking into CIMA's BA certificate as a good substitute for the necessary business knowledge for small businesses. The remaining business knowledge you would need can be obtained from a good mentor or learn through painstaking experience and with the use of professionals (I recommend Federation of Small Business for a lot of advice).

There is nothing stopping you from doing BA fashion design + MBA/MSc business management (which is what I think you meant for the second option).
Original post by Rose_99

Or

Hi Rose,

If you want to actually be designing, my recommendation would be to do a fashion design course, as this would give you three years to build up your skill set in construction etc. A lot of universities now offer business advice and training alongside your degree. For example, I did a textiles degree, did business training alongside and then did a business plan instead of a dissertation that worked really well for me.

If you're more interested in business, fashion and marketing, you could consider a fashion based marketing course like this.

There's loads of free and interesting resources online, but my best recommendation would be networking whenever and wherever you can!

Any questions, please shout - but good luck with your choices, it sounds really exciting!

Jenny
Arts University Plymouth Rep

http://aup.ac.uk/clearing
💻 Email us at [email protected]
☎️ Call us on 01752 203402⁠
📱 Whatsapp us at 07722 744184⁠

Quick Reply

Latest