The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Product Design Paper 1 (7552/1) - 7th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

AQA A-Level Product Design Paper 1 (7552/1) - Wednesday 7th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: Wednesday 7th June 2023/ PM
Length: 2h 30m

Resources
AQA A-level Design and Technology: Product Design

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Can someone help me please I wanna cry
Reply 3
what with?
Original post by IbbyIbs
Can someone help me please I wanna cry
How are people feeling for Paper 1
Reply 5
Original post by Joe Hurdle
what with?

How to structure the answers to the 6 and 12 markets
Reply 6
Original post by IbbyIbs

Markers*
Reply 7
Original post by IbbyIbs

My teacher taught me this technique on how to answer those questions, and it has helped me a lot. For a 6 mark question, if the question is asking you to give reasons for why a material is used or something, you have to give an answer along with justification. Since there are 6 marks, you can write 3 answers along with its justification as to why you wrote that answer down.
I'll give an example for a question along with one of my answers. This question comes from a June 2020 paper, and the question is 'Explain why high speed steel would be a suitable material for a metal drill bit.' as it is asking about high speed steel and why its suitable for what it is going to be used for, you have to kind of state its properties for it, and this is one of the answers I wrote: 'High speed steel would be a suitable material for a metal drill bit as it is wear resistant, so it will be able to withstand damage, like scratches, without breaking'. I hope this makes sense for the 6 mark questions.

For the 12 mark questions, the question might be asking you to compare the advantages and disadvantages of a material, or it may ask you to analyse two products made of different materials. An example for this kind of question also comes from the June 2020 paper, and it is asking to analyse and evaluate the suitability of the materials and manufacturing methods used for each of the two products, in this case, it is a toy, one made of beech and the other made of ABS(polymer). You would have to use the same technique as the 6 mark question, but you would have to write more than 6 answers as well as 6 points of justification. You would want to take the risk of ensuring that if one answer is wrong, it will increase the chance of getting full marks. My answer for one of the toys were 'The beech toy was hand shaped, so the designer was thinking of the risks of a child injuring themselves while playing with it. so they made it out of wood, sanding down the edges to ensure there will be no injuries when the child is playing. This makes it very child-friendly.'

I know this may be long but I hope you understand it and hope it helps!!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by nmansoor852
My teacher taught me this technique on how to answer those questions, and it has helped me a lot. For a 6 mark question, if the question is asking you to give reasons for why a material is used or something, you have to give an answer along with justification. Since there are 6 marks, you can write 3 answers along with its justification as to why you wrote that answer down.
I'll give an example for a question along with one of my answers. This question comes from a June 2020 paper, and the question is 'Explain why high speed steel would be a suitable material for a metal drill bit.' as it is asking about high speed steel and why its suitable for what it is going to be used for, you have to kind of state its properties for it, and this is one of the answers I wrote: 'High speed steel would be a suitable material for a metal drill bit as it is wear resistant, so it will be able to withstand damage, like scratches, without breaking'. I hope this makes sense for the 6 mark questions.

For the 12 mark questions, the question might be asking you to compare the advantages and disadvantages of a material, or it may ask you to analyse two products made of different materials. An example for this kind of question also comes from the June 2020 paper, and it is asking to analyse and evaluate the suitability of the materials and manufacturing methods used for each of the two products, in this case, it is a toy, one made of beech and the other made of ABS(polymer). You would have to use the same technique as the 6 mark question, but you would have to write more than 6 answers as well as 6 points of justification. You would want to take the risk of ensuring that if one answer is wrong, it will increase the chance of getting full marks. My answer for one of the toys were 'The beech toy was hand shaped, so the designer was thinking of the risks of a child injuring themselves while playing with it. so they made it out of wood, sanding down the edges to ensure there will be no injuries when the child is playing. This makes it very child-friendly.'

I know this may be long but I hope you understand it and hope it helps!!

It helps a lot! Thank you
Reply 9
No problem:smile:
Reply 10
2 more days left
Reply 11
good luck for wednesday everyone! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Slavetothebooks
How are people feeling for Paper 1

no revision has been done yet cant find any online resources that are any good physics and maths tutor doest have dt
(edited 10 months ago)
Has anyone else’s teachers been shocking
Reply 14
Has anyone else’s teachers been shocking

Yea ffs they are terrible. At least everyone is saying bad things so the national grades may be low
Reply 15
lol, haven't learnt anything this year, and haven't been able to revise what so ever since the adhd is rly adhding. I need at least 40 marks tomorrow and then 60 next week if i have any chance of getting a C, it's just not going to happen :bawling:
What did you guys get on your NEA?
What did you guys get on your NEA?

I didn’t get too good. I got like an 78/100
Original post by Hehehehehee
I didn’t get too good. I got like an 78/100

Still not too bad what was the average in your class?
Still not too bad what was the average in your class?

I don’t mean it in a bad way but everyone did bad. Like everyone except me and 3 other people got E’s and D’s in their NEA. But my teacher did try being generous. 45 was like the average for everyone I think. One person in my class did get 92 tho.

Quick Reply

Latest