The Student Room Group

Questions about work experience overseas

Hi!
I'm in Year 11.
I have relatives in Bolivia who own a vet practice and I visited them several times whilst staying there over last summer. I witnessed mostly spaying and neutering because they work with a TNR program for stray animals, but also a couple other surgeries, vaccinations and checkups. I know there's a certain requirement of time spent in clinical and non clinical (70 hours each? I think?) that universities will want me to have, but does helping in a clinic not in the UK count? Would it put me at a disadvantage if I was there for my clinical work experience, and do you guys have any particular recommendations for work experience within the UK (I'm located in South-West London.). Thank you!!!
Reply 1
I would have thought so. My daughter did two weeks work experience at an eventing yard in South Carolina USA which counted when she was applying (but that was 8 years ago now)
You might be best checking with the Universities you’re thinking of applying to though, just in case.
My daughter also went back to the same place when she was at vet school to do an AHEMS placement but there was an unbelievable amount of red tape and paperwork involved (proof of insurance and so forth) which took a long time to sort out. Luckily the yard owners are good friends of mine so they were very patient with all the requests for information from the vet school, otherwise she likely would have done a placement elsewhere instead.
Reply 2
Sorry for the late reply (I should really check my posts more often), and thank you very much for your advice!
I’ll definitely look into the policies for different universities. I don’t entirely see why it would be a problem, but I know there’s a few local vets I could ask at worst.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending