The Student Room Group

What's it like at St Hugh's College, Oxford

I just received an offer from St Hugh's (yay!), does anyone have any advice or tips? I don't know much about St Hugh's so any info will be super useful! Thanks : )
(edited 2 months ago)
“So far away” is a stretch. I timed myself walking from the end of Cornmarket Street (centre of Oxford) this morning and it took me 15 mins, so by bike it would be about 5.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by RedVelvet16
Hiya! I just received an offer from St Hugh's (yay!), but I've been told that because it's so far away from the other colleges, the social life and chance to meet new people is not as good. Is this true?

Congrats! I got an offer from St Hugh's too. I heard if you get a bike its not much more than 5 mins from most places, so should be fine
Reply 3
oh hey!!!I just got the offer from st hughs too! bio major haha
Reply 4
Hiya! I just received an offer from St Hugh's (yay!), but I've been told that because it's so far away from the other colleges, the social life and chance to meet new people is not as good. Is this true?

I think it's also really close to a slightly different part of oxford called Summertown. There are some cool restaurants, bookstores and cafés as well as a few supermarkets I think? (Also an offer holder - for english and classics)
Reply 5
Original post by Okayokey3

oh yayyy hopefully i'll get to see you there next year!! do you know if they have offer holder says or something cos i dont know a thing about st hughs
Reply 6
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
“So far away” is a stretch. I timed myself walking from the end of Cornmarket Street (centre of Oxford) this morning and it took me 15 mins, so by bike it would be about 5.

that's not too bad - guess i'll have to learn how to ride a bike! thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by aeebi
I think it's also really close to a slightly different part of oxford called Summertown. There are some cool restaurants, bookstores and cafés as well as a few supermarkets I think? (Also an offer holder - for english and classics)

oh yayy that's exciting! i'll have to visit at some point to get to know the area!
oh yayyy hopefully i'll get to see you there next year!! do you know if they have offer holder says or something cos i dont know a thing about st hughs

was wondering this too- sadly don't think so
Reply 9
Original post by crafty-pecker
was wondering this too- sadly don't think so

ahh that's a shame - nvm i'll just focus on getting the grades! congrats on your offer btw!!
Original post by Okayokey3

omg me too!! i'm also a bio major and i'm from the us (trying to make some friends 😀)
Travel within Oxford is easy. You can walk, cycle, or bus around the city. It's not a huge place, and living a bit out of the centre, as many students will in their second or third years, is fine. You can see a bit of the non gown bits of the town. Getting a (basic, non flashy) bike is a good idea. You may be able to buy a second hand bike from a college porter (That used to be a thing. I don't know if it still is).

Summertown is a pleasant part of town, funky Jericho is not far from St Hugh's, and the college is also well located for access to some of the pretty country pubs just outside the city.

I was at Wadham, but walked or biked to St Hugh's for some tutorials in my third year. It took no time. I recall that my tutor at St Hugh's had a pleasant room, where we sat and talked about the eighteenth century. He was a Junior Research Fellow at the time. He has recently retired from a Professorship at Cambridge. I feel old!

Have fun at Stew's!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending