The Student Room Group

Can I drop 2 a levels if pick 5 before my year 12 exams which determine uni predicted

Can I do 5 a levels and drop 2 before predicted exams in year 12 because I wanna know which subjects like and dislike btw I am interested in getting in these 3 either finance,tech or real estate and wanna know which subjects are the best btw gonna pick 5 if they let you drop 2 before like I said predicted exams you do in year 12 and btw only answer if you’ve done that subject at a level like I’ve heard subjects related to finance are business studies and economics btw which is more related to finance like which talks about investing saving and budgeting and shows how to manage money I’ll pick that subject with computer science and mathematics and gonna pick between psychology and geography so 5???
You need to ask your college if they will allow you to take 5 A levels for the first term/year to see which you prefer. It’s their decision.

They are most likely to ask you to do more research into the different subjects over the summer and make a decision sooner.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You need to ask your college if they will allow you to take 5 A levels for the first term/year to see which you prefer. It’s their decision.

They are most likely to ask you to do more research into the different subjects over the summer and make a decision sooner.

What if they said 4
Original post by aryc_30
Can I do 5 a levels and drop 2 before predicted exams in year 12 because I wanna know which subjects like and dislike btw I am interested in getting in these 3 either finance,tech or real estate and wanna know which subjects are the best btw gonna pick 5 if they let you drop 2 before like I said predicted exams you do in year 12 and btw only answer if you’ve done that subject at a level like I’ve heard subjects related to finance are business studies and economics btw which is more related to finance like which talks about investing saving and budgeting and shows how to manage money I’ll pick that subject with computer science and mathematics and gonna pick between psychology and geography so 5???

Why are you picking between psychology and geography? Why can't you just do business, economics, comp sci and maths? If you want to do psychology or geography then choose between business and economics as i've heard that some topics are quite similar.
I just think it would be a waste of time to choose 5, knowing that you're going be dropping 2.
I'm doing business, comp sci and maths. Business is pretty easy, it just covers leadership styles, marketing principles and decision-making etc - basically the management and operation of a business. idk what econmics are like but i've heard that sometimes theres an overlap between business and econmics. Computer science does take quite alot of effort for the NEA especially if you're not a confident programmer(me). Maths takes up alot of effort too as the difficulty level from GCSE to year 12 is a big jump and then theres a bigger jump from year 12 to year 13.
Reply 4
Original post by TomokoRainMaker
Why are you picking between psychology and geography? Why can't you just do business, economics, comp sci and maths? If you want to do psychology or geography then choose between business and economics as i've heard that some topics are quite similar.
I just think it would be a waste of time to choose 5, knowing that you're going be dropping 2.
I'm doing business, comp sci and maths. Business is pretty easy, it just covers leadership styles, marketing principles and decision-making etc - basically the management and operation of a business. idk what econmics are like but i've heard that sometimes theres an overlap between business and econmics. Computer science does take quite alot of effort for the NEA especially if you're not a confident programmer(me). Maths takes up alot of effort too as the difficulty level from GCSE to year 12 is a big jump and then theres a bigger jump from year 12 to year 13.

What exambaord do you do for your subjects???
Original post by aryc_30
What exambaord do you do for your subjects???

edexcel - maths and business
ocr - comp sci
Reply 6
Original post by TomokoRainMaker
edexcel - maths and business
ocr - comp sci

How’s maths and business as you got same examboard??
Original post by aryc_30
How’s maths and business as you got same examboard??

I sort of explained it before for both. Maths takes up alot of effort, its one of those subjects where you pretty much need to know everything as each question may require bits from each topic if that makes sense. I just had mocks and i'm not really feeling confident because even though i did exercise questions, the exam questions in my opinion are much more complex. Unlike from GCSE where they may give you some sort of brief scenario, alevel is more straight to the point if that makes sense. In most cases you know what topic the question is related too, its just hard trying solve it. There are lots of things you need to memorize like trigonometry rules, integration rules etc. You do get a booklet with some equations on but not all, so again you make an effort by learning how to apply this and memorize them.

Business is good, if you revise the topics - you are good to go. Theme 4 is the only section i'm sort of iffy but apart from that the 3 other themes are fine - some of it is just common sense too. I've heard that business has less maths than economics. I does have some equations you have to learn but again, if your doing maths for alevel then they will just be a piece of cake. I think the hardest part of it is the timing as theres alot to write and you need it to be good quality. While I haven't found many great youtube accounts, there are textbooks you can buy which may simplify the work done. Business is more about just memorizing information unlike maths where you have to understand the information so if you prefer that then its easy.

I'm sorry, idk if this answers ur question - i wasn't unsure of what you were asking. If you're asking me what edexcel is like compared to other exam boards, i unfortunately can't tell you, i do not know.

Quick Reply

Latest